Update - SpywareBlaster 4.3

TonyE
3StarLounger

Update - SpywareBlaster 4.3

Post by TonyE »

Javacool have released SpywareBlaster 4.3.

For those not familiar with SpywareBlaster, it can be used to prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware and other potentially unwanted programs, block spying / tracking via cookies and restrict the actions of potentially unwanted or dangerous web sites.

SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background, it works alongside the programs you have to help secure your system.

Changelog:
- SeaMonkey 2.x support
- Improved Firefox (and other Gecko-based browsers) support
- Improved high-DPI support
- Misc IE Settings enhancements for Windows Vista/7
- Fixed incorrect "not enough free space" message on large hard drives
- Numerous additional bug fixes, tweaks, and optimizations
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Update - SpywareBlaster 4.3

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hmmm, I guess my memory is failing me again! Since I'm a "paid" subscriber, I thought their auto update did software as well as the database, but I guess I'm remembering wrong. Or maybe it just takes time.

I just downloaded 4.3 but I think I'll wait a couple of days to see before I install it ...

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

Bigaldoc wrote:Hmmm, I guess my memory is failing me again! Since I'm a "paid" subscriber, I thought their auto update did software as well as the database, but I guess I'm remembering wrong.
I believe it just automatically updates the database.

On their support forums when they announced the release of SpywareBlaster 4.3, it gives a couple of methods to upgrade, but both involve downloading the new version and then either installing it on top of the previous version, or uninstalling the old version first. Their recommended method is to uninstall the previous version first - SpywareBlaster upgrade instructions.
Tony

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

That's totally unexpected, Tony, I'll give it a try, however I hope that 4.3 will know that I'm an autoupdate subscriber!

Edited to add: Did it as suggested and it DOES know that I'm an autoupdate customer!

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I use this on my XP desktop, but never installed it on 7. Is it still a good choice? I run Malwarebytes and occasionally run Glary Utilities; used to use Spybot S&D but dumped that when MWB came out. I use ZA free firewall and Avast anti-virus.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hey Jude wrote:I use this on my XP desktop, but never installed it on 7. Is it still a good choice? I run Malwarebytes and occasionally run Glary Utilities; used to use Spybot S&D but dumped that when MWB came out. I use ZA free firewall and Avast anti-virus.
I'm sure that some (or many) Loungers will disagree with me, but here's my :2cents:

In earlier years, when AntiVirus programs were just that, without AntiSpyware built in, programs such as Spybot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster offered much-needed additional protection. Because none of them caught everything, using several of them was considered the wise thing to do.

All good AntiVirus programs nowadays offer a broad range of protection, not just against viruses, but also against spyware, rootkits, etc. I've come to doubt the need for programs such as SpywareBlaster. When my subscription ran out in September 2009, I uninstalled it from the Windows XP PC I had then, and - apart from Internet Explorer starting up considerably faster - I didn't notice any difference. I ran extra scans with MalwareBytes AntiMalware, but it always reported my PC was clean.

Now, on my new Windows 7 PC, I don't use SpywareBlaster either. The only ongoing protection I use is the Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials. I haven't had any infection yet. I still run a MalwareBytes scan from time to time, and it doesn't find anything.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:I use this on my XP desktop, but never installed it on 7. Is it still a good choice? I run Malwarebytes and occasionally run Glary Utilities; used to use Spybot S&D but dumped that when MWB came out. I use ZA free firewall and Avast anti-virus.
Hans is right - some of us would disagree. I still use SpywareBlaster on both XP and Win 7. My IE (which I admit I seldom use) starts almost instantly, so I have no evidence that this program slows anything down. I also don't have any way of (ever) knowing if (and what) it may have protected me from. So, I continue to use it and the $10 bucks for auto update isn't a bad price.

I also use Avast free and some time ago switched to the plain-vanilla Windows firewall; Malwarebytes periodically.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I agree with Hans. On my Windows 7 system at home all I use is MSE & the Windows firewall. On my wife's Vista system I use MSE & the Windows firewall. I have Malwarebytes Antimalware installed on her PC because she is not at all technically inclined and less careful than I about what she "clicks on". On an older XP Pro machine that my grandsons use, I have MSE & the free ZA firewall. Malwarebytes also is installed there. So far, the boys have not managed to do any damage. :laugh:

Joe
Joe

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I tend to agree with Hans and Joe in that over protection is overkill. I used to use 6 anti-spyware along with Avast anti-virus only. I dumped the Windows XP firewall in favour of ZA free but have found that another of my guru friends also sides with MSE and Win 7 firewall as his only essential security program. He does in fact though run several extra security programs on several of his 8 PCs in order to render assistance to those who use them. I was a firm believer in SS&D, AVG anti spyware, AVG anti rootkit and on and on. Now I am down to just those I mentioned. I believe, in my case anyways, that back in the mid 90's fear of all the unknown critters out there prompted me to try out many of the available security software critiqued on CNet and on the Kim Komando show. Tucows shareware site bombarded us with multitudes of all sorts of programs that broadened my computer literacy. With understanding my fears have subsided and I am much more comfortable with less being better than more. Thanks for the insightful responses and I think at this point I will keep my 7 machine lean and mean. Malwarebytes will continue to be a favourite tho. I haven't come to the point where I'll ditch ZA tho, but I could be persuaded :evilgrin: :cheers:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image