Secunia Version

RonH
SilverLounger

Secunia Version

Post by RonH »

I am still using PSI 2 and am wondering if I am alone :scratch:
Should I move now to PSI 3 (with auto updating?) or stay with what I am used to ...
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Re: Secunia Version

Post by aekyall »

RonH,
I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but for what it's worth, I have version 3 and I don't have auto updating set (it's an option). I run the program and then decide whether and what I wish to update (ie, manual update).
HTH
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Same for me - PSI 3 with auto-updating turned off. There is a Settings button at the bottom of the PSI 3 screen. Clicking it lets you specify whether Secunia should run automatically (Start on boot) and whether it should install updates automatically.
S0866.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks folks.

I guess it is time to 'get the latest' version. But I will not set it for auto updating ... I like to know what is going on :evilgrin:
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Tagging on to this thread :- The owner of the computer shop where I bought my desktop is of the opinion that progs like Secunia, CCleaner etc. are not necessary and does not recommend them as -he believes- they are not necessary. I had big trouble with my last computer getting Secunia to work so used their on-line version but now it's not available I thought (despite his advice) I might just give it a go and see what it reveals as out of date. The attachment shows the latest scan but before I make any changes I thought I would get advice regarding them because if they are not essential for the smooth running of the computer I will just ignore them. Cheers Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The notifications about Macrovision Update Service ActiveX Control 1.x and Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x are bogus; it's an error in Secunia's database. You can tell Secunia PSI to ignore them - there is an option for this in the right-click menu of each program.

I assume that you use Adobe Reader as your PDF viewer. I would keep it up-to-date, so you can let Secunia update it for you, or open Adobe Reader yourself and update it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

...........sincere thanks Hans, just as well I asked as I really haven't a clue otherwise. Regards Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think Secunia makes a very useful contribution to the security of my home computers. If you use the internet then it is essential to install updates to operating systems and application software soon after they are released, and Secunia PSI can really help with this.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks also Stuart for your remarks, can't listen to too many people's experiences (just as the saying goes 'many hands make light work'...so with comments from those who speak from experience. By the way, I right clicked on the Adobe reminder icon but -as the screenshot shows, it says updating is in progress but after waiting forever when I hover the cursor over the icon the hour glass appears indicating it is busy but fails to update. Comments please. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If updating Adobe Reader XI from Secunia fails, you can update it from within Adobe Reader itself: start the program, then select Help > Check for Updates.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans...job done first time.............cheers Dave.