No more MSE on XP

silverback
5StarLounger

No more MSE on XP

Post by silverback »

As part of Windows XP support being withdrawn, MSE has ceased providing anti virus updates from today so I've installed Avast :free: version.
Have I missed a setting somewhere, or is it not possible to set up a scheduled scan on the free version?
I have to say that Avast looks quite complicated compared to MSE; are the default settings sufficient?

Also, I am still using Windows Firewall. Will this continue to be adequate or should I install another firewall and switch Windows Firewall off?

Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: No more MSE on XP

Post by HansV »

MSE itself won't be available for download in XP machines any more, but Microsoft will provide definition updates for existing installations of MSE on Windows XP until sometime in 2015.
The Windows XP Firewall should still be sufficient.

Someone else can hopefully answer your questions about Avast!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

silverback wrote:...MSE has ceased providing anti virus updates from today...
That's not my understanding.

Yes, as a consequence of XP reaching end-of-life, the core application MSE for XP will no longer receive updates BUT Microsoft will still provide virus definition updates for MSE for XP until some time in 2015.

The security patches that Microsoft released on the second Tuesday of March included an update to the MSE application that made it aware of doomsday. As a result since then my MSE for XP has been showing in the system tray as an amber icon, rather than the usual green one and on every boot I've had to dismiss an amber pop-up warning reminding me of the impending end of the world.

Today, Tuesday 8 April 2014 (aka doomsday / end of the world) my MSE for XP icon is showing as a red icon and I've had to dismiss a red pop-up warning.

Sometime in the near future I'll get round to installing Win 7 but life is a bit busy at the moment and my home PC / Internet use is minimal so I'm not concerned that the sky is going to fall any time soon.

Ken

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Avast schedule scan:
Go to Scan in left panel
Click Settings in right panel
Click Schedule in left panel. You should see "Scan scheduler"

Hope this works for you.