Bitdefender installation problem

curious
3StarLounger

Bitdefender installation problem

Post by curious »

Confusion over conflicting messages. Am installing Bitdefender

1) Superimposed over a window telling me it is successfully installed is a window saying “.Net Framework Initialization Error. Please set registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.Net Framework\InstallRoot to point to the Network Framework Install location.”

2) I do not have that key.What I see in Registry under local machine...is Net Framework Setup, NDP,CDF, v4 but nowhere within these settings is ‘InstallRoot’ (Just remembered: years ago I think I deleted .Net Framework & then I had no luck when I tried what I think is called the repair tool…Did I doom myself?).

3) Hovering cursor on icon in systray, it say Bitdefender is active, but when I click an option, nothing happens.

4) Listed in Add/Remove programs is Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Client Profile with choice of Change/Remove. I dare not do either.

So, do I give up on Bitdefender and go with another AV?

Thank you so much.

(Win XP, SP3.
When I try to close the window advising of instllation error, either thru the X or Close, I get the Windows tone...)

HansV
Administrator

Re: Bitdefender installation problem

Post by HansV »

For me, InstallRoot is in the right hand pane if I select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework in the left hand pane:
S0594.png
If you want to persist with BitDefender, you could completely uninstall BitDefender and all traces of the .NET Framework. Then reinstall BitDefender. If it needs .NET Framework, it should automatically install that too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thank you, Hans!

Only default shows in my right-hand pane....

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That means that .NET Framework is not fully installed (any more). So it's best to remove the remaining traces and then try again.
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Tried, and tried again to install .Net Framework. No success. The last time I received message "Setup error." so, after x hours, I have given up and will tried another AV.

Much appreciate your time and suggestions.