Damnable pop up

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Damnable pop up

Post by Dave Davison »

Just today when accessing You Tube files a annoying pop up has began to appear at the bottom of the screen every time a selection is made, the title "PassShow" showing at the top right of the pop up. I would appreciate any help resulting in blocking this annoying pop up. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Damnable pop up

Post by Claude »

What router are you using Dave ? I'm asking because it is better to block things like that in the router if possible rather than via the hosts file. If you block it from the router, all your connected devices will have it blocked.
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try to uninstall PassShow from the Add/Remove Programs control panel in Windows.
Run a full scan with your antivirus / antimalware programs.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks guys..........have deleted PassShow using Revo Uninstaller.......will see what difference it makes. Claud.....that sounds good advice re "Router" but I'm clueless regarding how to achieve that. Can't for the life of me recall how the PassShow garbage latched on to my computer, the only change I have made is to install the burning prog (below) from CNet which I think I saw recommended on the lounge. CNet is usually a trustworthy site - but even so - I ran it past Avira & MalwareBytes neither of which raised any alarms. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:Many thanks guys..........have deleted PassShow using Revo Uninstaller.......will see what difference it makes. Claud.....that sounds good advice re "Router" but I'm clueless regarding how to achieve that. Can't for the life of me recall how the PassShow garbage latched on to my computer, the only change I have made is to install the burning prog (below) from CNet which I think I saw recommended on the lounge. CNet is usually a trustworthy site - but even so - I ran it past Avira & MalwareBytes neither of which raised any alarms. Regards Dave.
When you install most freeware nowadays, you have to have a hawks eye and scrutinise the options that you select (or deselect) when installing the freeware; even when using CNET and other verified sites. I usually suggest when installing to check each step of the install and deactivate options that promote toolbars and other free offers. I also recommend to choose an option called custom install and check options in there. If you go with recommended install process, that is usually where all the crapware gets added and you never see those options as you agree to the recommended settings.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As well as choosing 'custom' installs and having a hawk eye for unwanted extras I never get downloads from CNET and the like in the first instance. I will ALWAYS look for the actual developer's website and look for a download link on there. Only if that site redirects me to CNET/whatever will I get it from somewhere other than the horse's mouth.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As ever, thanks for the remarks about being diligent during the installation stages, the points made just go to show how valuable post 12239 by Rudy is as it has a wealth of information and countless tested links not to mention the pros & cons of such freeware. Cheers Dave.

johjue
Lounger

Post by johjue »

Useful article http://www.raymond.cc/blog/direct-downl ... installer/ just posted on Raymond's site this evening regarding CNET and adware.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Nice article!
TX Johjue

That's another common error where one (esp. if not careful) clicks the green Accept button instead of the (what looks like a disabled) grey Decline button. Besides the fact that it looks disabled, one might think that you are declining the installing of the software you intended. Its a very sly crafty way of getting these adware installed!!!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's a handy article. I have avoided CNet for some time now because of their devious ways.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

From what you write Hans, it emphasizes the value of the thread I mentioned by Rudy so PLEASE guys, you that can recommend any free software, let the said thread grow continually so sites like CNet can be given a wide birth. Thanks everyone Dave.