Avira 10 beeps at start up

Cah
3StarLounger

Avira 10 beeps at start up

Post by Cah »

Hello, is anyone using the new Avira 10? If so is it beeping at log in/Start Up? Mine does and it is a little worrying/annoying. I'm worried in case I have got Malware though both Avira and MalwareBytes scans came up clean. I run as limited user most of the time and have SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol running. Also, I used Adblock Plus and Noscript with Firefox so I think it unlikely that I picked up malware. I wonder if it is because I chose the Secure Start-up option during installation. I'd be grateful to hear back about other people's experiences. Any more beeps out there?

Thanks,

Chris

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Avira 10 beeps at start up

Post by stuck »

Hi Chris,

You found your way here then!

I've just updated my Avira v9 to v10 and I think I have an answer for you.
1) On rebooting after updating I heard a beep and got the pop-up below. If you have ticked the 'do not show' box then you'll hear the beep but get no explanation.
2) In the Avira control centre, on the Extras menu there is a config option. In there under General | warnings is a tick box to turn this feature off, see the second image below. Having said that, I've not yet unticked it and restarted to confirm this :grin:

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Hi Ken, thanks for investigating this. I played around with the settings but even with all the warnings unchecked I was getting the beep. It would be better if Avira used different beeps to help users pinpoint what is going on! Also I log on with limited user rights so the admin rights box shouldn't cause a response. I think it was something else. I've now gone back in time and am reapplying Updates. If Avira still beeps when I finally re-update it then I think I'll find an alternative. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from AVG and Vipre? Anyone using the paid for version of Malwarebytes?

Thanks,

Chris

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Cah wrote:Hi Ken, thanks for investigating this. I played around with the settings but even with all the warnings unchecked I was getting the beep. It would be better if Avira used different beeps to help users pinpoint what is going on! Also I log on with limited user rights so the admin rights box shouldn't cause a response. I think it was something else. I've now gone back in time and am reapplying Updates. If Avira still beeps when I finally re-update it then I think I'll find an alternative. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from AVG and Vipre? Anyone using the paid for version of Malwarebytes?

Thanks,

Chris
I think Avast free is a good alternative.
I do use Malwarebytes free but I thought it was strictly a malware detector, not an AV program also. or does the paid version have AV included?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As a post script to this thread my Avira no longer beeps on start up. However it stopped beeping as a by product of something else I did, not because I found a magic tick box or some other clever fix.

My main PC at home is a 'new to me' P4 box that I picked up back in early Dec 2009. Since then I have been messing around installing stuff and experimenting and not worrying about breaking anything because, as XP wasn't activated, if anything went wrong I just started from scratch. Avria v9 was my AV of choice and as noted above on updating to v10 it beeped on start up. Yesterday my latest 30 day pre-activation period ran out (and it was raining) so I rebuilt the installation. This time I installed Avira v10 straight off and there are no beeps. Presumably therefore the beeps are something to do with the v9 to v10 upgrade process.

Ken