auto-update of Avira free from v9 to v10

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

auto-update of Avira free from v9 to v10

Post by stuck »

I have the free/personal version of Avira on my home PC, Help | About shows the product as v9.something. It automatically reports it is all up to date and thus it is no surprise that if I use the two 'check for update' options in the Help menu (one for db update the other for product update) I get the same answer - all up to date.

However, I know that Avira Free v10 is available now (it's dated, 22 March). Am I being impatient expecting auto-update to find this new product so soon after v10 release date?

Ken
edited to correct by dire typing :blush:
Last edited by stuck on 25 Mar 2010, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Re: auto-update of Avria free from v9 to v10

Post by HansV »

I assume that you mean Avira instead of Avria?

They may delay the automatic update to version 10 - if everyone downloads it at once, their server might break down...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: auto-update of Avira free from v9 to v10

Post by stuck »

That was my guess too, I will wait a little longer rather than do a manual update. I know StuartR uses Avira so I wondered if he might chip in with his experience.

I learnt about Avira v10 from a post by Cah in the WS Lounge (Chris had updated to v10 and now hears a beep at startup/logon, as if a virus has been found, but scans show the PC as clean).

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't use Avira, so this is just a guess at another possibility. Could it be that the updater in the software's Help will only keep each MAJOR version up to date with its "dot" versions, such as 9.1 and 9.2 and so on?

That might mean that to get to version 10 it might have to be downloaded and installed manually. As I said, just a guess...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...I know StuartR uses Avira so I wondered if he might chip in with his experience...
The laptop running Avira is out of the house at the moment.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:The laptop running Avira is out of the house at the moment.
Outrage! :grin: What sort of service is that? Not being able to answer a question instantly? It weren't like that in the old days. :evilgrin:

Suppose I'll just have to wait then, oh, hang on, I was going to do that anyway :laugh:

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Sometimes vendors delay posting the free versions of a new release for automatic updates to let paid users feel as though they are getting a little extra for their money. I believe AVG used to this and still may.

Joe
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My v9 installation has given me a pop-up to let me know v10 is available but the 'Start Product Update' still tells me my (v9) is up to date. So it looks like 'all of the above' applies, i.e. delays to spread the load on the server and/or to sweeten things for paying customers and the auto-update updater only does 'dot' upgrades.