Microsoft Security Essentials

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by Gloria E »

PaulB wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I'm using Webroot Internet Security Essentials which has anti-virus protection along with Spyware and a Firewall.
Personally, I would never install anything with spyware in it. :evilgrin:
Which one are you saying contains spyware? If you meant Webroot, I've used WISE's when I had WinXP as my OS. None of anti-spyware programs name it as spyware and I've never seen it mentioned in that category.

If you've seen it mentioned somewhere, please provide me with the location so I can read it for myself. I think a person needs proof before labeling programs with that label.

I am waiting to receive your information.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Gloria E wrote:Which one are you saying contains spyware? If you meant Webroot, I've used WISE's when I had WinXP as my OS. None of anti-spyware programs name it as spyware and I've never seen it mentioned in that category.

If you've seen it mentioned somewhere, please provide me with the location so I can read it for myself. I think a person needs proof before labeling programs with that label.

He was being sarcastic. Read your original quote carefully and you'll see that it can be read that the Webroot software contains spyware not that it checks for spyware.

Joe
Joe

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

Gloria E wrote:
PaulB wrote:
Gloria E wrote:I'm using Webroot Internet Security Essentials which has anti-virus protection along with Spyware and a Firewall.
Personally, I would never install anything with spyware in it. :evilgrin:
Which one are you saying contains spyware? If you meant Webroot, I've used WISE's when I had WinXP as my OS. None of anti-spyware programs name it as spyware and I've never seen it mentioned in that category.

Gloria, I think you should read back your own post, as quoted by Paul. :grin:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:(the PC only had 56K dial-up)
That's probably the clue - I assume you only connected to the internet when necessary. With broadband or cable, people tend to leave their computer connected all the time, and most programs, including recent versions of Windows, assume that you are... This greatly increases the risk.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

JoeP wrote:
Gloria E wrote:Which one are you saying contains spyware? If you meant Webroot, I've used WISE's when I had WinXP as my OS. None of anti-spyware programs name it as spyware and I've never seen it mentioned in that category.

He was being sarcastic. Read your original quote carefully and you'll see that it can be read that the Webroot software contains spyware not that it checks for spyware.

Joe
Aw Shucks! I didn't mean it contained spyware, I should have said anti-spyware.
I brought these reactions on myself and I stand corrected. :basket: :burnup:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:The plural of 'virus' is 'viruses' -
Agreed, but I was using it as a 2nd declension noun. Thanks for backing me up with the quote from some trumped-up web page. Much appreciated.
... capable of such a solecism.
I've never split a flat-fish in my LIFE!
:hugs:
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Gloria E wrote:... I stand corrected.
Presumably the correction will take place when the daily updates download .... (grin!)

pi-eater
Lounger

Post by pi-eater »

HansV wrote:
stuck wrote:(the PC only had 56K dial-up)
That's probably the clue - I assume you only connected to the internet when necessary. With broadband or cable, people tend to leave their computer connected all the time, and most programs, including recent versions of Windows, assume that you are... This greatly increases the risk.
I have run some of my computers for several years without any antivirus software with 24 hour broadband connection. The only protection was just a router, firewall, no Microsoft browser, and common sense on XP or Win2K. I even had a neighbor email me a virus infected email once just to take a look at it. Never had a virus in tens of thousands of hours connected.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

pi-eater wrote:I have run some of my computers for several years without any antivirus software with 24 hour broadband connection. The only protection was just a router, firewall, no Microsoft browser, and common sense on XP or Win2K. I even had a neighbor email me a virus infected email once just to take a look at it. Never had a virus in tens of thousands of hours connected.
I think the "common sense" part played a great role in it...
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:"common sense"
Ah!, yes!

Didn't someone here used to have a signature about "the trouble with common sense is that it's not that common"?

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:Didn't someone here used to have a signature about "the trouble with common sense is that it's not that common"?
That was probably in Woody's Lounge...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:This isn't the first time that AskWoody has mentioned "Microsoft Security Essentials", ...
And then there's Fred Langa's The 120-day Microsoft security suite test drive.
A few points I noted on my first read-through:
(1) Fred is running tests on two Win 7systems.
(2) Fred does parallel inspections with other scanners (good) but in my experience at least one of them has failed to detect malware on one of my client's systems, whereas AVG detected it straight away (could be a lax Client, I know)
(3) Fred notes MSE is "Built to run mostly in full-automatic (for maximum ease of use)", which doesn't surprise me. MS builds products for click-happy end-users.