Microsoft Security Essentials

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This isn't the first time that AskWoody has mentioned "Microsoft Security Essentials", and there appears to be only one thread here that mentions it.
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has installed Microsoft Security Essentials on top of other AV software, with an ultimate view of replacement.
I am currently running Grisoft AVG, ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm and safer-networking's(?) SpyBot on a WinXP-SP3 system.

I confess to being confused; Microsoft has a poor track record in security. It could be argued that the hundreds of malware products available today are a direct result of Microsoft poor attitude towards security.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials

Post by HansV »

You should not have two antivirus programs with real-time protection active at the same time.

Older security products from Microsoft didn't have a very good reputation, but Microsoft Security Essentials has been received well.
See for example:
Microsoft Security Essentials impresses
Microsoft Security Essentials review
AV Comparatives - Main Tests

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials in combination with the built-in Windows Firewall as my main security software for two months on my Windows 7 PC, and it works well. Real-time protection is unobtrusive, and the reported slow scan speed isn't a problem for me since I have scheduled scans to take place at night, when I sleep.
As an extra check, I run a scan with other software from time to time, and never find any infections.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:... my main security software for two months on my Windows 7 PC, and it works well.
Thanks Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use a different free anti-virus software on each PC in the house, since they all store their data in a common area they all get to scan the same files.

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials on one Windows XP computer for many months now and it seems to be doing a good job.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:I use a different free anti-virus software on each PC in the house, ...
Thanks Stuart. If I understand you, you have a different suite of malware on each of, say, 3 computers, but each of the computers scans the same set of (networked?) files, so that you have three lines-of-defense?
I ask because I have 3 networked machines here, and had not thought of implementing such a strategy.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Chris,

Yes, you have understood me correctly. I use AVAST, AVG and Security Essentials on three different computers, but they all scan the same set of networked files.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has installed Microsoft Security Essentials on top of other AV software, with an ultimate view of replacement.
I would not characterize Microsoft's record for the past 4 or 5 years as poor in regards to security. IMO, that is a holdover from XP pre-SP2 days. Their "secure development" program has yielded tremendous progress in many products. Just take a close look at most of the malware problems now. They are either social engineering, going after applications program, or browser addins such as Flash.

Anyway, I use MSE on three machines at home - XP, Vista HP, Win7 Ultimate. I've installed it on perhaps a dozen other machines that are a mixture of XP & Vista. It has been running well with little apparent overhead and no reported infestations.

Joe
Last edited by HansV on 22 Mar 2010, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to correct quote tag
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:Yes, you have understood me correctly.
Thanks Stuart.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

JoeP wrote:I would not characterize Microsoft's record for the past 4 or 5 years as poor in regards to security.
Thanks Joe, and your point is made (and taken!) well.
In my mind Microsoft is still the company that opened the flood gates to Normal.dot virii, even though the interest there seems to have waned.
Woody rails against Internet Explorer 6, so that too is a holdover from those days.
(signed) "Ready To Switch" of Toronto.

Teunis
3StarLounger

Post by Teunis »

I have the same setup as Hans on my Win7 HP32 laptop, i.e. MSE + Windows Firewall and it's doing a good job. I noticed recently however, that, while previously MSE used to update itself automatically even if Windows Automatic Update was set to one of the manual modes, it now updates only automatically if WAU is set to automatic. This is quite a nuisance. Has anybody noticed the same thing or has one of my settings changed?

Regards, Teunis

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I currently have Windows Update set to automatically install updates, but a while ago I had it set to notify me if there were new updates, and Microsoft Security Essentials were still installed automatically during that period - I've had at least one update every day since I got my Windows 7 PC.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I use Kaspersky AV and it is due for renewal later this year ... should I opt for the new M/S Security Essentials?
HP Laptop with Vista SP2
RonH :cheers:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Kaspersky gets consistently good reviews, so I'd stay with it unless you are dissatisfied with it, or would like to switch to a free product.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Kaspersky gets consistently good reviews, so I'd stay with it unless you are dissatisfied with it, or would like to switch to a free product.
Yes I agree Hans. been with KAV for 3-4 years now and only minor problems. They are quick to help if needed ... highly recommended from me, 5 stars
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I currently have Windows Update set to automatically install updates,
An Addendum:
This morning I inspected my neighbor's PC, a sluggish 512 MB 500MHz machine.
She has Windows Automatic Updates turned ON, set for 3:00 a.m.
I asked her if she left her computer on overnight.
"Sometimes".
Her machine was at Windows XP SP2, not SP3.
I manually started an update process, was asked to confirm the d/l of the Windows Genuine Advantage (I think it's called) and have left her machine playing catch-up for the rest of the morning.

It is as if her failure to respond at some time in the past to an inquiry "Install Windows Genuine Advantage?" has resulted in a suspension of flow of Automatic Updates.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:It is as if her failure to respond at some time in the past to an inquiry "Install Windows Genuine Advantage?" has resulted in a suspension of flow of Automatic Updates.
That is quite possible!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
ChrisGreaves wrote:... suspension of flow of Automatic Updates.
That is quite possible!
Bit of a surprise for me.
I would have expected that for people like my neighbor ("I just use the computer for email") that setting Automatic Updates to ON should be seamless, and require no decision on the part of the submissive user.
Oh well .....

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:This isn't the first time that AskWoody has mentioned "Microsoft Security Essentials", and there appears to be only one thread here that mentions it.
I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has installed Microsoft Security Essentials on top of other AV software, with an ultimate view of replacement.
I am currently running Grisoft AVG, ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm and safer-networking's(?) SpyBot on a WinXP-SP3 system.

I confess to being confused; Microsoft has a poor track record in security. It could be argued that the hundreds of malware products available today are a direct result of Microsoft poor attitude towards security.
I have to be the ONLY person in the world who CANNOT use MSE without it interfering with other Utilities that I use ( not AV ) System Mechanic, which I have used through many upgrades and versions, chokes when MSE is installed. It just will NOT run. Much time spent with both Iolo and MS techs and coders could not produce an answer. Finally, I just threw up my hands and said " I give up," and dumped MSE. Iolo's last upgrade included an AV and anti-mal feature, so I have that in place and it seems to do a fine job on it's own.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This appears to happen with lots of software - it works OK for most people, but for some it just won't, whatever they try. It's sad, but I guess it can't be helped.
Fortunately, there is a wide choice of good-quality security software nowadays, both free and commercial.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

I started to install Security Essentials ver. 1.0 but on the very first download page I read "Enable Automatic updating & Microsoft Update." That one statement caused me to cancel the installation. I stay as far away from auto updating as I can get without falling off the edge of the world.

I would like to know if that is written in stone or if I get a choice further on the installation process?

Gloria E
Last edited by HansV on 02 May 2010, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to extract the actual question from a quote.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!