Backups for One with Limited Computer Experience

BobH
UraniumLounger

Backups for One with Limited Computer Experience

Post by BobH »

I'm vacationing in NC at my BIL's home. He has limited skills with computers and does his backups by copying files to thumb drives. This protects data that he remembers to back up but does not protect him when Windows gets corrupted or when he gets malware. He has both a desktop system and a laptop system. I bought a 500GB external USB HDD for him. I would like to set up something that he can run weekly on each computer.

What would you suggest?

I don't believe that he can navigate a reinstall WinXP or Win7 and then all his apps and then his data; therefore I'm thinking he needs software that will create images and will restore them, OS, apps, data and all.

I would like to set up something for him before I leave day after tomorrow.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Backups for One with Limited Computer Experience

Post by viking33 »

Bob,
I don't see why something like Acronis True Image or Storage Protect couldn't be set up to make backup images on a scheduled basis. These are two of the better known paid type programs.
Another GOOD freebie is EaseUS backups. A user friendly dependable stand in for the above types.
Check it out at:

http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Todo-Ba ... 64460.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Backups for One with Limited Computer Experience

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Bob!

I've had bad luck with Acronis on XP. I know nothing about Storage Protect; so I'm going to give EasUS a shot. If it doesn't work, I'll give Storage Protect a shot.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs