Suspicious about this

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Suspicious about this

Post by Skitterbug »

My daughter received the following email. Yes she does use Hotmail. It seems odd that this message is asking for her user name/password..... Shouldn't there be information in her account regarding any changes MS may be doing regarding her email? She wasn't sure what to do and neither am I. Help and advise appreciated! thanks!

From: Email Server Administration Team <carolmowinkel@msn.com>
Date: May 18, 2013, 5:59:21 AM EDT
Subject: Microsoft account password reset

Mail Update

Thank you for being one of our valued users of Windows Live Hotmail. We hope you are enjoying it and having fun using Windows Live Hotmail & other Windows Live services. We are constantly working to improve the service to you.

Please be informed that due to the recent upgraded of the service, we would be closing both all unused and anonymous registered accounts. You are receiving this email because your account is among those to be deleted, and your verification would be needed, to enabled you to continue the activities of your account. Verify it by clicking on the reply button in order to reply back to this message and fill out the information required below:

* Username:...........................
* Password:............................
* Date of Birth:.......................
* Country Or Territory:...........

This back up is necessary for update and to avoid blocking of your account. If you do not respond to this message. you will lose your account permanently.

Thank you for your usual co-operation. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please be aware that there is a risk involved whenever downloading email attachments to your computer or sending email attachments to others and that, as provided in the Terms of Service, neither Hotmail! are responsible for any damages caused by your decision to do . Please reply to this message. This is a service email related to your use of Hotmail! Mail.

Microsoft respects your privacy. Please read our online Privacy Statement.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Re: Suspicious about this

Post by Skitterbug »

And since I was highly suspicious of this request for my daughter's information, I searched the net and found this info. Using the internet and all the convenience it offers, is a wonderful resource. However, a lot of it is intrusive! Being cautious is definitely important!
Sorry to ask questions before I "hunted for info" but maybe this thread will be of use to someone else.
:smile:

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hello Skitterbug,
I had already started a reply when you updated the thread, but I will add a couple of links to an AV blog that also mention these e-mails.

I would consider that very suspicious; a phishing attempt.

If they, or anyone, (if this would have been genuine) would like to close unused accounts they could simply encourage people that would like to keep their accounts to log in, the usual way, to show that they are still active as users.

There is no need to verify one's user name and password, and above all, not in plain-text in an e-mail.

See a similar phishing attack, mentioned at Sophos:
Phishing attack against MSN/Hotmail users - a new year, but old tricks still persist
Here is another one, from the same blog:
Hotmail phishing: Don't send us the wrong password or we'll suspend your account!
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Argus wrote:Hello Skitterbug,
I had already started a reply when you updated the thread, but I will add a couple of links to an AV blog that also mention these e-mails.

I would consider that very suspicious; a phishing attempt.

If they, or anyone, (if this would have been genuine) would like to close unused accounts they could simply encourage people that would like to keep their accounts to log in, the usual way, to show that they are still active as users.

There is no need to verify one's user name and password, and above all, not in plain-text in an e-mail.

See a similar phishing attack, mentioned at Sophos:
Phishing attack against MSN/Hotmail users - a new year, but old tricks still persist
Here is another one, from the same blog:
Hotmail phishing: Don't send us the wrong password or we'll suspend your account!
I passed all the info along to my daughter. Fortunately, she was not "persuaded" by the email to send her personal information. She kept thinking to herself, that it didn't seem on the up and up. I'm glad she is a smart kid! :clever:
Thanks for your response Argus! :cheers:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Microsoft NEVER solicits any of the information listed in the email. You should NEVER respond to an email of this sort. If you are confused by an email go directly to the site by typing in the address in a browser. Do NOT click on a link.

Joe
Joe

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:Microsoft NEVER solicits any of the information listed in the email. You should NEVER respond to an email of this sort. If you are confused by an email go directly to the site by typing in the address in a browser. Do NOT click on a link.

Joe
Thanks Joe! This is what I though too but decided to ask the experts to be sure. And searching the net is always a good move too. I agree, never click any link in a suspicious email.
However, unfortunately, our Pastor wasn't quick enough to realize this and did fill out the request when he received one for his Yahoo email account. This lead to his email contacts and his account being compromised.We found all of his troubles out when we received a request for $2,225 to help him get home from Panama. Pastor was told by us and at least 15 other people, that he really ought to stay home and keep out of trouble! <chuckle>

I do wonder if our email address that was stolen from his contact list, will be used in some nefarious way? I hope not.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Your email address could very well be used. Unfortunately, short of changing it there is nothing effective you can do about it.

Joe
Joe

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

The smallest suspicion or the slightest doubt I have about an email I receive I delete it without a further thought. Even when the email purports to come from someone I know I don't hesitate to delete it when there is cause for concern.

Malcolm

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

JoeP wrote:Your email address could very well be used. Unfortunately, short of changing it there is nothing effective you can do about it.

Joe
On the plus side, the email address can be tossed if need be! Thanks Joe!