What is the best backup software?

jmt356
SilverLounger

What is the best backup software?

Post by jmt356 »

I have been using Acronis for years and have had lots of issues. I am considering switching to another company. Are there any suggestions as to what the best backup software there is is? I am looking for something inexpensive, easy to use, and that can handle full and incremental backups. I would prefer something with good customer support or with a forum where posts get quickly answered.
Regards,

JMT

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: What is the best backup software?

Post by Roderunner »

Hi JMT,
I use Acronis TIH 2010 (build 5,055) on both my Win7 Home Prem. 32bit computers. I have never failed with it in backups or restores. I only do 'One Click' backups from within Windows. Backups take under 10 minutes to do, Restores are even faster. This method is a Systembackup of only C:drive which are both 45gb in size.
Was I fast enough in replying?
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Roderunner wrote:Was I fast enough in replying?
Yes! As far as I know, this is the best general computing needs lounge on the web, in terms of speed of replies and knowledgeability of the community.

I remember in the past discussions about a backup program called "Shadow." Does anyone use it and if so, how is it compared to Acronis?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's StorageCraft ShadowProtect, actually. Several Loungers are using it, I'm sure someone will chime in and comment on it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm one of those Hans spoke of. I've used Shadow Protect for several years and it has never failed me. I've recovered full images as well as MANY times, individual files. It is NOT inexpensive but was worth the cost in my opinion. Like most software, "easy to use" is in the eye of the user. I've never had any trouble operating, creating and maintaining nightly automated backups, etc. They do have an active forum but once again, like many such venues, sometimes response IS a little slow.

When I got my laptop over a year ago, I tried a product called Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging, mainly because they have a FREE version. It too works fine, and somewhat similar to Shadow Protect, and True Image in ease of use. I have now purchased the Macrium Pro edition which is considerably less expensive than Shadow Protect. Shadow Protect for my desktop and Macrium on the laptop.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I tried using Acronis and managed to lose a lot of valuable data. I found it to be clumsy to use and the documentation and interface screens poorly designed and executed. I got what I consider inferior support on the product. But . . . there are many like RodeRunner who use it and praise it. I probably have and ID 10 T user problem with it.

I'm going to look into ShadowProtect. I followed the link Hans posted but was disappointed to find that the do not state what it costs to license (or perhaps I was not diligent enough in searching). Even going to Amazon and finding it listed all I saw was an offer to download a trial without listing licensing fees. Makes me think that they are not proud of what they charge.

I would appreciate hearing from any ShadowProtect users.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bigaldoc wrote:Prices:

Shadow Protect: StorageCraft ShadowProtect 5 Desktop

Macrium: Personal - Macrium Software
Thanks, Al.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

ShadowProtect is $89.99 for a single license;
Macrium Reflect Standard is $49.99 for a single license ($89.99 for a household 4 pack);
Acronis True Image 2013 is $49.99 for a single license ($79.99 for 3 PCs).

I consider ShadowProtect expensive.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:I have been using Acronis for years and have had lots of issues. I am considering switching to another company. Are there any suggestions as to what the best backup software there is is? I am looking for something inexpensive, easy to use, and that can handle full and incremental backups. I would prefer something with good customer support or with a forum where posts get quickly answered.
I suppose every piece of software has it's staunch supporters and avowed enemies. I have been using Acronis for many years, now using version 2012 with good success.
When Shadow Craft first came out, it was when I was doing a mojor update and upgrade to my system. Despite claims of "no problems" from their tech director, when going to a larger HD and new partition, it was a total disaster! It took me a LONG time to recover and get back to normal on the new system. Without going into the gruesome details re: SP, I went back to Acronis TI, without regrets.
It's true about the rather clunky interface but after getting used to it, it does what I want in a efficent manner and at reasonable cost.
I now hand the dias over to the SP fans to present their views. :thankyou:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:... I now hand the dias over to the SP fans to present their views.
Not me, Bob. These kinds of threads are "no win" debates.

He's already said he has "issues" with Acronis and Shadow Protect is too expensive.

Macrium Reflect ???

Or wait for other products to be suggested.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Windows 7 64 bit

I use the in-built back-up/system image facility in Windows 7 - no one seems to mention it much in the lounge (XP users?); Are there any particular drawbacks with it? I back up/create an image once a week to an external HD but have never (yet) had to do any kind of restore. Would be interested in lounger's opinions on its suitability compared with other products.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I probably shouldn't write this since I don't use Windows 7 backup because of years of negative experience with previous versions of Windows' backup programs.

In the past, Windows backup was plagued with failures, each new version was most likely NOT able to read a backup file made with the previous version, and the list goes on and on.

If you Google: "is windows backup any good?" you'll get lots of reading, including these two samples:

Windows 7's Built-in Backup | PCWorld

Don't use Windows Backup - virtualdub.org

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

ShadowProtect fan here. Full backups of everything (System, Data, System Reserved partitions) taken weekly (couple of hours overnight). Incrementals taken hourly (less than a minute), all to external HDD. All done automatically, no intervention required. Recovering a single file or folder or the complete system is a snap. I highly recommend this for users who putter around with their computers and end up being the authors of their own misfortunes (moi, :sad: ).

Macrium Reflect Free used on my wife's laptop. Full backup taken on demand... cannot get scheduled backups to work. Puzzling!

Tried Win 7 backups on the laptop. Totally useless as a recovery medium when the laptop went south. Could not recover anything at all. Very difficult to determine what was actually being backed up and what wasn't. Documentation sucks.

No experience with other backup software which may be as good or better... or not.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Amelia43
StarLounger

Post by Amelia43 »

I have Macrium Reflect Pro and also EaseUS Todo Backup and am very happy with both. I was a longtime Acronis user but started to have problems with True Image 2013.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

jmt356 wrote:ShadowProtect is $89.99 for a single license;
Macrium Reflect Standard is $49.99 for a single license ($89.99 for a household 4 pack);
Acronis True Image 2013 is $49.99 for a single license ($79.99 for 3 PCs).

I consider ShadowProtect expensive.
I should point out that Shadow Protect includes HIR in its price whereas with Acronis HIR is an extra cost addon.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Bigaldoc wrote: I should point out that Shadow Protect includes HIR in its price whereas with Acronis HIR is an extra cost addon.
High Impact Resistance?
Hydrostatic Impact Rocket?
Hardware Independent Restore?
I'm not sure what any of this means.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:
Bigaldoc wrote: I should point out that Shadow Protect includes HIR in its price whereas with Acronis HIR is an extra cost addon.
High Impact Resistance?
Hydrostatic Impact Rocket?
Hardware Independent Restore?
I'm not sure what any of this means.
Hardware Independent Recovery (HIR)
This is when you are using different types, sizes or brands of hardware to make your images and restore them.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

You mean for example if I had two laptops and wanted to created images of each one? But then wouldn't I need to buy two different licenses?
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hardware independent restore is needed if you want to restore a full image backup to a different computer. For example you could backup your PC, then replace the motherboard, graphics card and hard drive as a hardware upgrade, and then restore the backup to the new hard drive.
StuartR