Possible Avast 5 Problem

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Possible Avast 5 Problem

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't know this for sure since I'm still investigating, but if you're an Avast 5 user, you might want to read my thread at: Eileen's Lounge - "Downnload Helper" Addon Problematic.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Possible Avast 5 Problem

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't know this for sure since I'm still investigating, but if you're an Avast 5 user, you might want to read my thread at: Eileen's Lounge - "Downnload Helper" Addon Problematic.
I just played that link and had no problems, nor have I experienced these problems as you outline yet in FF. I know I had issues with a Vimeo feed that Hans posted, but once playing it on YouTube it worked fine; however I never got any error messages. If you have other sites that you got that error message on I would be interested in trying them out. I believe I updated my Avast at the same time you did so am using 5.0.418; is this your version?
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:I just played that link and had no problems, nor have I experienced these problems as you outline yet in FF.
Yes, I'm at the same Avast version as you are. Do you have the Download Helper addon installed?

I think it must be a combo of that addon (and what it tries to do) and Avast not "liking" what it's doing. If I disable the addon, I have no problems with ANY videos. With it active, I've tried ONE of the two Avast settings and the problem doesn't happen. I just finished showering and really do have to run to an appointment now, but this afternoon I'll try the other Avast setting.

It seems that with BOTH the addon and an un-adjusted Avast, the download helper WILL save the video to my hard drive but it takes a long, long time to do so. That's why I think it's something "in" certain videos that Avast struggles with checking. Obviously my trial-and-error is not scientific (technical) so I don't know if I'll ever know. I might try a post/question to the folks at Avast and see if they know or can advise. It'll take me some time.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:I just played that link and had no problems, nor have I experienced these problems as you outline yet in FF.
Yes, I'm at the same Avast version as you are. Do you have the Download Helper addon installed?
I don't know which download helper you are referencing. Avast? FF?

Edit...no I am not using download helper add-on.....
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, what a can of worms I seem to have opened here. I'm not going to ask Hans to unlock that other thread because I'm going to make a few more comments here that might convince others to be wary. But, truth is I still don't know if it's the Video DownloadHelper :: Add-ons for Firefox or Avast. I can only say for sure that I've used that addon for some time and never had a problem until now. That's what made me think it's Avast.

Howsomever, in the past four hours while I was away, my son did extensive testing for me with both of the Avast suggestions in the Firefox trying to incorrectly initialize "Application/Octet-Stream" download with Youtube thread. Many videos work OK but some still FAIL regardless of which of the two suggestions in Avast settings you try.

Since I'm not gonna dump Avast because of this one problem, I plan to keep an eye on that Mozilla thread, in spite of the fact that it's been marked closed by someone. Whatever Avast has done in Version 5 has caused a failure in a previously well functioning addon. So, for me, it means searching for a replacement video downloader rather than another acceptable AV program.

YOU make your choice. Sorry to leave it open-ended like this.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

A followup which I think has the solution - that my video problem WAS in fact caused by the Fx addon called Download Helper.

I've been operating without the addon since it isn't that often that I want to save a video but more often than not I just play them on their web location. Videos have been playing and Avast hasn't been complaining, especially in light of the fact that, as we all know, the videos we play are saved (I think) in the browser cache.

At any rate, there is an update to the addon which has the following in its Changelog:
    • From version 4.7 to 4.7.1

Implemented a workaround to solve a major issue on YouTube when using a firewall - by the way, don't use Kaspersky !. This closes bug #5 and bug #133. The symptoms were videos taking minutes to start loading or some YouTube pages showing Don't know how to handle application.octet-stream message.
I have updated the addon and have re-tried several videos that gave me trouble at the start and they are playing withoug the "octet stream" error message.

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Al, are you up to Download Helper V 4.7.3, and having no problems?
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Goshute wrote:Al, are you up to Download Helper V 4.7.3, and having no problems?
Well I have 4.7.3 installed and dormant. I didn't have any problems but I've only used it a couple of times.