Thunderbird mail notification

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Thunderbird mail notification

Post by PaulB »

I run Thunderbird 7.0.1 on a Win 7 HP x64 system. It runs without any known issues for me but does manifest one strange behavior when there is mail on the server. In this case, after clicking the Get Mail button I get the audio cue indicating the mail has been downloaded (POP3), the New Mail icon pops up in the notification area and the status bar will display the message in the graphic below.
mail.JPG
I seem to recall that in versions of Thunderbird prior to versions 6 or 7 that the status line would finally indicate that there were x new messages. No longer is this the case for me.

Has any other Thunderbird user noticed this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Thunderbird mail notification

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:I run Thunderbird 7.0.1 on a Win 7 HP x64 system. It runs without any known issues for me but does manifest one strange behavior when there is mail on the server. In this case, after clicking the Get Mail button I get the audio cue indicating the mail has been downloaded (POP3), the New Mail icon pops up in the notification area and the status bar will display the message in the graphic below.
mail.JPG
I seem to recall that in versions of Thunderbird prior to versions 6 or 7 that the status line would finally indicate that there were x new messages. No longer is this the case for me.

Has any other Thunderbird user noticed this?
I haven't noticed anything like this. Running same TB version and Win7 (64)
I assume the NCF is "National Capital Freenet?" Your ISP?
I would inquire of them for a possible reason or setting change.
Also, do you still have IE available just to try?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Hi Bob,
I assume the NCF is "National Capital Freenet?" Your ISP?
Correct.
I would inquire of them for a possible reason or setting change.
Good point! I seem to recall that the NCF undertook a major mail server upgrade recently. Might account for this behavior.
Also, do you still have IE available just to try?
It's not clear to me why you think a browser may help. TB works fine except for this one trivial issue. It really doesn't even qualify as an annoyance.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Paul,

Just had a look at my Thunderbird 7.0.1 When it finishes wandering through my various email accounts (i have several, I'm like an email hub for the whole family) the last thing the status bar says is the last thing it's done. In today's case, it "Moved 2 messages from Inbox to Inbox" (that's an imap box to a local folder). If I check a POP mailbox with one message to download, it briefly says "1 message downloaded to insert account name here on local folders". The activity manager isn't much help either!
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks all. I think I will pursue this with my ISP. Based on your responses, I don't think this is a TB issue.
Regards,
Paul

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

jonwallace wrote:it briefly says "1 message downloaded to insert account name here on local folders".
Sorry, I should have added "then that message disappears". Maybe your message disappears faster than a speeding bullet...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube