Go online error

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Go online error

Post by Gloria E »

I now see a button that says "go Online" when I open WLM. When I open a link, IE states that I am working offline, would I like to go online. This started appearing about the time I did a Windows Update, but I'm not positive about that.

I haven't chosen to ever work offline and I don't know how this got set. I don't want to have to chose to go online when reading my email, so how can this be fixed? I would like to permanently remove or at least disable that option. I've searched every where and no where is there a mention of working online or offline. I also checked IE9 and under File work offline is not ticked, so I don't think I can blame IE.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Go online error

Post by HansV »

You can click on "Working offline" in the status bar of Windows Live Mail to change it to "Working online" (it acts as a toggle).
Alternatively, click on "Go online" in the ribbon to change it to "Work offline".
Windows Live Mail should remember the option selected most recently.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:You can click on "Working offline" in the status bar of Windows Live Mail to change it to "Working online" (it acts as a toggle).
Alternatively, click on "Go online" in the ribbon to change it to "Work offline".
Windows Live Mail should remember the option selected most recently.
That's the problem, it doesn't remember. I got a notice, just now - coming here, that IE went online to view this message and I had selected go online before I clicked the link to this forum.

Both WLM and IE9 are displaying the same message. If I'm not mistaken this started when I updated WLM from 2010 to 2011. I've not been bothered with this offline/online business previously.

I'm afraid to revert to WLM 2010, something may go wrong and then I'd have no email program at all. Seems like I'll have to live with this annoyance.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Live Mail and Internet Explorer are separate, independent programs. Settings in one don't affect the settings in the other. If both switch to offline automatically, there could be a problem with your internet connection. Or a very general problem with your Windows installation.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Windows Live Mail and Internet Explorer are separate, independent programs. Settings in one don't affect the settings in the other. If both switch to offline automatically, there could be a problem with your internet connection. Or a very general problem with your Windows installation.
Hans, I'm using a LAN Network and there are no problems with other places I go on the internet, therefore I don't think it's my internet connetion.

If it's a problem with my Windows installation, how do I correct it, besides doing a reformat?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm sorry, I have no idea.

By the way, how do you go to "other places ... on the internet" if you're not using your browser or e-mail (who go offline)?
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:I'm sorry, I have no idea.

By the way, how do you go to "other places ... on the internet" if you're not using your browser or e-mail (who go offline)?
Like you, I have no idea what I meant. Now that it's gone cold it doesn't make sense to me either.
My mail downloads in spite of WLM showing going offline, so that's not a problem. When a link in the email sends me to the web, IE states that I'm working offline and would I like to go online. That's not a problem either, just an extra step I'd like to avoid if possible.