Some Mail Filters Work - Some Don't

BobH
UraniumLounger

Some Mail Filters Work - Some Don't

Post by BobH »

Running Thunderbird 6.0.2 on XP. Some e-mailers continue to send messages to me after unsubscribing (yeah, RIGHT!) from their lists. Normally I just create a filter in that mail box and use the FROM value to send them to Trash. I've discovered recently that this approach seems flawed because there are some mailers that are not caught by the filters. Is it possible that they are spoofing the display value in such a way that the Thunderbird filters are receiving a value different than that displayed?

What other strategies would you suggest to keep these messages out of my Inbox?

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Some Mail Filters Work - Some Don't

Post by jonwallace »

I run popfile (from http://getpopfile.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) which is a bayesian classifier. It's fairly easy to set up, takes a little bit of time to train, but once it's done it's pretty accurate. I have it add an x-popfile header that is then use in a filter.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't use TB's filtering to trash messages, but I use filters heavily and haven't had any trouble. I suppose spoofing is possible.

I also use, as a front end spam catcher (anything unwanted) Firetrust MailWasher Pro mostly because it checks my mail accounts ON THE SERVER so unwanted mail never gets downloaded to my drive. Like all these kinds of products, it does take some "training" but it's very effective.