Garbled Text

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Garbled Text

Post by hlewton »

I have been receiving a few emails lately with garbled text from one person and it is being received in a Gmail account. It seems to take English text and make it look like some foreign language which is unreadable to me. If anyone has heard of this I would like to know what is the cause and is it on the sender's end or my end in the Gmail account? I should point out that this does not happen with any other emails I receive from anyone else and not always even from this one particular sender.

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Garbled Text

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans. By clicking on "Message Text garbled" I was able to read it because it opened up another window and corrected the words but as far as adjusting the encoding settings is concerned after I follow these instructions
"To adjust encoding settings in Internet Explorer:
From the View menu, select Encoding.
Choose an encoding from the list of options. (Additional languages are available by selecting More.)"

I have no idea what to choose because English isn't a choice under the "more" option. It is set at Unicode (UTF-8). Any ideas what I should do if anything? I am using IE8

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try Western European (Windows) or Western European (ISO).
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks but neither worked. At least you gave me a method to read them now. Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I do have a related question. I have this Gmail account's emails forwarded to a Yahoo email account and it shows up garbled there as well. I didn't find any "Message Text Garbled" option in Yahoo to read this email. Is there an option on Yahoo email to do that similar to the one in Gmail? The only messages that are garbled in Yahoo are the ones that are garbled and forwarded from that Gmail account.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/c ... cs-76.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (For "Classic") or http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/y ... cs-76.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hijack Warning!

On the subject of garbled text . . .

I've noticed that my iPhone's predictive text feature - while imperfect and sometimes maddening - seems to do a much better job at guessing what I really meant to type than most other text processors.

Does anyone know if what code the iProducts use and whether or not it is proprietary and, if not, if it is portable to other platforms?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks again Hans. I'll check it out but again I don't think I will have any idea what encoding it is using and it seem that is what I will need to know according to those links.
Regards,
hlewton