Thunderbird 5 released

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Re: Thunderbird 5 released

Post by ChrisJakarta »

viking33 wrote: ...
I had tried it on Fx and had to re-enable it every time I used it to "test" the add-on. The idea being that it would Report to Mozilla that there was a compatibility problem, so they could notify the author of same. It isn't meant to be a fix. The .rdf edit does work as a fix and not a reporting vehicle.
That's my take on it anyway.
If you look at about:config, and enter extensions.checkCompatibility into the filter, you'll see all of the versions for which compatibility can be checked. On my FireFox, this goes up to 8.0a. For more information, look at Extensions.checkCompatibility.

As Mozilla now plans to release new versions every few weeks, I suspect that extension providers are going to be pushed to keep up, and this will become an increasing problem. It seems that the community sees the Add-on Compatibility Reporter as the solution, albeit resulting in minor risk. The risk is clearly no greater than editing the .rdf file, and easier to correct if problems occur.

In my case, I have not had to re-enable every time I restart. I wonder if you are misunderstanding the intent of enable. I think enabling the Add-on Compatibility Reporter means that it will prevent incompatible (as indicated by the .rdf setting) from running. Anyway both in FF and TB, each time I start, the Add-ons page tells me that "Add-on compatibility checking is disabled', which is the way I want it so that the incompatible extensions continue to work.
Bigaldoc wrote: ...It seems to me that the compatibility tester program MUST make a change to the .RDF file and THEN let's YOU try it to see if it works. As I said, I don't know any of this except for my cases of success so far.
Al, as I say, I don't think is does make any changes to the .rdf. It probably just ignores the settings in the file.

BTW, you're right, I had logged off by the time you responded last night - sorry! Glad you found the solution.

Chris
Last edited by ChrisJakarta on 04 Jul 2011, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Thunderbird 5 released

Post by jonwallace »

Good catch Chris. I've been using MR Tech's nightly installer tools to "make compatible", but unfortunately it's no longer compatible :hairout: . The compatibility reporter seems like a good alternative.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube