Thunderbird Mailing List by Copying

BobH
UraniumLounger

Thunderbird Mailing List by Copying

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know whether or not it is possible to create a Thunderbird mailing list in one's Address Book by selecting and copying the email addresses of multiple pre-existing addresses?

I searched the Mozilla Thunderbird forum and posted a query there but have found no answer yet. I can type addresses into the mailing list, and I can copy and paste single email addresses; but I've been unable to select multiple entries in the Address Book and copy the email addys associated with them en masse.

Re-typing and individually copying and pasting operations are tedious. Would appreciate any help.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Thunderbird Mailing List by Copying

Post by Bigaldoc »

What version are you using? I'm running 3.1.10 and was just able to drag a few names into a test list. You need to drag with the left mouse button.

I don't know if this is version dependent.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Hi BigAl,

Thanks for the response.

I'm using 3.1.10. Can you select multiple entries at once and then copy the email addresses and paste them into the mailing list? I cannot. I also cannot select multiple entries at once and drag them into the mailing list.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I didn't try copy and paste since dragging did the job. Lordy, I don't know what setting you might have outta whack Bob.

We'll have to go hunting through our individual settings to see what's amiss...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

First of all, Bob, I didn't realize this but you CAN'T COPY names from the address book. See graphic.

So, after creating the list, selecting one or more (ctrl-click) names, dragging is the ONLY way to get them to the list.

And finally, I've just sat here and reviewed EVERY Thunderbird setting on mine and can't see a thing that would seem to prevent you from selecting multiple addresses.

However, one thing I can't check: you're not by chance using that "collected addresses" list are you? I have mine turned OFF and it's empty. I put ALL my address book entries in the one called Personal Address Book, including mailing lists. So I don't know if that collected addresses section behaves differently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, BigAl!

With the help of the Mozilla TB forum, I got it sorted out. I opened the Address Book and selected the names I wanted in the Address Book then drug them over to the mailing list name in the box of mailboxes on the left of the screen and dropped them. That worked.

I think I must have been trying to drag the names within the Address Book which does NOT work.

Thanks for all your help. Sorry to have put you to so much trouble.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Glad you got it sorted out...