Problems with Comcast

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Problems with Comcast

Post by Gloria E »

As the subject says, I'm having problems with Comcast Cable. They are my Internet provider and handles my email as my email address reveals. Because of down grading their services, they have cut off my email access. They won't admit that is the reason, but common sense says it's probable. I need another email client and I was thinking of using Thunderbird, but the one I select can not be tied in any way to Comcast.

While researching Thunderbird, I found that to set them up I have to supply my name, email address, password and email provider. My currect email provider is, like I said, Comcast, if that's so I cannot use Thunderbird either.

My question is, do I have to use Comcast in any way to setup Thunderbird?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problems with Comcast

Post by HansV »

If Comcast is your Internet provider, your 'standard' email will be via your Comcast account. If you can't or won't use that, you could get a free Gmail account. You can access your Gmail through the web interface provided by Google, or through Thunderbird.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

What do you mean with "Down grading their services"?

Another client will not give another email address, you with have to go to Gmail, yahoo, Live Mail and etc to get a address and server to use.

Tbird, Outlook and etc are just programs that are used access the servers provide by your ISP.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:As the subject says, I'm having problems with Comcast Cable. They are my Internet provider and handles my email as my email address reveals. Because of down grading their services, they have cut off my email access. They won't admit that is the reason, but common sense says it's probable. I need another email client and I was thinking of using Thunderbird, but the one I select can not be tied in any way to Comcast.

While researching Thunderbird, I found that to set them up I have to supply my name, email address, password and email provider. My currect email provider is, like I said, Comcast, if that's so I cannot use Thunderbird either.

My question is, do I have to use Comcast in any way to setup Thunderbird?
Gloria,
Comcast is your email PROVIDER.
Thunderbird, IE or any other similar program is your local machine email ACCESS point. You need at least one of them.
You still need someone like Comcast, Verizon, Gmail, Hotmail, etc., to provide you with a link to the world of emails.

BTW, I never heard of Comcast eliminating email service and still providing you with Internet access but then again, I don't use Comcast.

Strongly suggest you enable one of the email programs on your machine and then call Comcast to help you set it up with you.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:If Comcast is your Internet provider, your 'standard' email will be via your Comcast account. If you can't or won't use that, you could get a free Gmail account. You can access your Gmail through the web interface provided by Google, or through Thunderbird.
I do have a Gmail address setup, but no one knows about it but me, so my emails will not show up. I won't be able to get mail via Thunderbird because I would have to supply me email address.

I am working with Comcast and trying to get the problem resolved. I should know in a little while if they will let me get my mail. :grin:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Gloria E wrote:
HansV wrote:If Comcast is your Internet provider, your 'standard' email will be via your Comcast account. If you can't or won't use that, you could get a free Gmail account. You can access your Gmail through the web interface provided by Google, or through Thunderbird.
I do have a Gmail address setup, but no one knows about it but me, so my emails will not show up. I won't be able to get mail via Thunderbird because I would have to supply me email address.

I am working with Comcast and trying to get the problem resolved. I should know in a little while if they will let me get my mail. :grin:
You can download Thunderbird but of course you have to fill in that information in order to setup the TB account on your machine.

It wont work unless you tell it what to do and where to go for it to find and get your messages. :sad:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:What do you mean with "Down grading their services"?

Another client will not give another email address, you with have to go to Gmail, yahoo, Live Mail and etc to get a address and server to use.

Tbird, Outlook and etc are just programs that are used access the servers provide by your ISP.
By down grading their service means I cut out all the movie channels, we were paying over $300 a month. Because we moved from an apartment to a house, we got the Dish Network and a dish has been installed. The male cust. sevice agent at Comcast seemed to resent the changes we made and cut off our email service, but the Internet service was still in force. He did it just to be mean, so we called back and got a female agent who reversed what was done and we now have our email service restored. :fanfare:

I'm still going to obtained another email client as a backup in case something like this happens again.

Gloria E