Controlling GMail

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Controlling GMail

Post by ChrisJakarta »

I have set up a GMail account to which all E-mails addressed to any of my other addresses are forwarded. This account is set up as POP3, to download all to Thunderbird on my laptop when I connect. This then moves the downloaded message from the Gmail Inbox to its Archive, to provide a backup.

When I am travelling, I am sometimes forced to access my E-mails by logging into this GMail account on the web. If I then open the E-mails in my Inbox, they are automatically moved to the archive and marked as read. This means that when I next connect to Thunderbird, these messages are not downloaded to the laptop. I have tried moving them back to the GMail Inbox and marking them unread, but that doesn't help.

I have looked all over for settings to allow Thunderbird to download such E-mails, without success. Can anyone help?

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Re: Controlling GMail

Post by HansV »

Hmmm ... I use Outlook 2007, and it downloads messages from "All Mail" (i.e. both read and unread messages, and both archived and non-archived messages); I haven't had to set anything special for that either in Gmail or in Outlook. I wonder how Thunderbird is different.
Best wishes,
Hans

JohnH
3StarLounger

Post by JohnH »

I use Thunderbird for the same job, and it behaves for me the way Outlook does for Hans. And I don't think I did anything special.
I read messages using a web browser sometimes, and I often read them via my phone. In either case my laptop downloads them to Thunderbird at the next opportunity.

So I don't think Thunderbird is different.
Regards

John

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks, John. Good to know that.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

Thanks for that. I'm sure I had problems with this in the past, but I've just tried again, and your are indeed right :blush: But it's good to know I don't have a problem now.

Chris