Grey Signature file (Thunderbird 1.5.0.4)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Grey Signature file (Thunderbird 1.5.0.4)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have a two-line TXT file which is attached to every email I send out.
I am happy with the content, but am unhappy that it appears so faint at the foot of the email message.

Does anyone know of a way to force Thunderbird to use a stronger color in the signature block, or to emphasize the signature?

I admit to using an archaic version of Thunderbird.

The image below shows the signature file in gray, and my make-shift method of stressing my contact details in specific emails - by hand-typing my name and phone number as part of the message.
1.PNG
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by StuartR on 01 Dec 2010, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To blur phone number and address in attachment
He who plants a seed, plants life.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Grey Signature file (Thunderbird 1.5.0.4)

Post by stuck »

Is it not just the way TB is rendering your sig on screen? i.e. once it has gone it will look fine at the other end since plain text files wouldn't include font colour info.

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:Is it not just the way TB is rendering your sig on screen?
Good Point, Ken.
I made a simple experiment: Sent myself an email FROM Thunderbird To Gmail. It appears as a greyed-out signature (attached image).
We know that color is unobtainable in text files, that's why i was curious about any optional settings in Thunderbird that would allow me to specify a format for the signature.
As far as I can see Thunderbird automatically sets the font to be a grey.
untitled.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Chris,

Have a look at this thread or this one on the Mozillazine forums.

The signature extension referred to in the first thread can be found here. Scroll down the page for a version that should work in your clockwork-powered ancient version...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jonwallace wrote:Scroll down the page for a version that should work in your clockwork-powered ancient version...
Thanks, Jon, for the response and links.
On redaing through them (and my original post) I have come to two conclusions:

(1) I don't really care what signatures look like when I'm reading incoming mail in Thunderbird; I was assuming that what i see in Thunderbird is what other users see in other clients.
(2) I do care how the signature appears when people read my mail, in whatever they use.

I suspect that means that I need to make use of the Signature 0.4.0.4.200610221528, because it seems to address the issue of the signature in the outgoing emails.

A few more experiments early this morning show that deleting the dashes above the signature block before sending the email to my gmail account result in a grey-signature in gmail, so it's definitely the outgoing effort i need to address.

(wanders off to install the addin ....)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Chris,
Why don't you just break down and try an upgrade to the latest version?
After all, it is free.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:Why don't you just break down and try an upgrade to the latest version?
Good question.
When I rebuilt my laptop about 8 months ago i tried to install the (then) latest version from scratch and ran into problems (probably "me") in the configuration, so I retreated to a version i understood.

If you are using the latest version, might you please confirm that I can customize the signature color?
Thanks.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:If you are using the latest version, might you please confirm that I can customize the signature color?
I'm not, but Signatures - Thunderbird - MozillaZine Knowledge Base states:

"Each signature can be plain text or HTML. An HTML signature can specify fonts, colors, formatting, images, etc"
Leif