Gmail+Spam

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Gmail+Spam

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello, If you were a person who sent 'Spam' to an individual and know what can be done to it. I.E.
1, goes in Spam folder but totally ignored and gets auto deleted after 30 days. (other providers, hotmail.com & live.co.uk auto delete in 10 days).
2, report as phishing.
3, set a filter to delete the message.
4, just delete it after steps 2&3.
This is one spam mail I got today (I added the 3 XXX) BJAFS9VVU.BJAFS9VVU@bjafsXXX9vvu.us
Would you use the same unaltered address to send another email to the same user????
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

Leif
Administrator

Re: Gmail+Spam

Post by Leif »

Ted Myers wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 14:24
Would you use the same unaltered address to send another email to the same user????
I don't think any Spammer worth his salt gives two figs about what might potentially happen to their emails, all they are interested in is sending out as many emails to as many email addresses as they can.
Leif

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello Leif, I was wondering if a Spammer would use the same address they had already used to the same target address???

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Spammers often randomly change the subject line and from address of their emails, to make it a bit harder for simple pattern matching defences. But they certainly can send millions of emails from the same address, they are all different people with a variety of tools and motivations.
StuartR

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello StuartR, at present, I have about 50 filters all different addresses set to be deleted. Do you know if there is a limit????
Their is no sense attempting to block them, as they then reappear in the Spam folder.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Ted Myers wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 16:10
Hello StuartR, at present, I have about 50 filters all different addresses set to be deleted. Do you know if there is a limit????
Their is no sense attempting to block them, as they then reappear in the Spam folder.
Do you mean you have filters set to specific SPAM sender's addresses? Personally, I would consider that pretty futile as they can use a near-infinite number of addresses, and that's before you get onto them spoofing them.

Do you mark (report) the SPAM you receive in your inbox as such?
Leif

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

I have removed all of the filters that ended .us as in my first post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Setting filters is exactly what I meant when I used the term "simple pattern matching defences", this is pretty much a waste of time.
Marking every SPAM as spam should help gmail to do a better job of filtering these for you.
StuartR

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

Hello StuartR, so far my modus operandi is working (almost) as the amount of Spam I've been getting has decreased from 10 to 2 a day.