New Quirk in Thunderbird 60.5.3

BobH
UraniumLounger

New Quirk in Thunderbird 60.5.3

Post by BobH »

Since recovering my laptop's system, whenever I start Thunderbird I receive notices that the password for my ISP's email server failed. This happens for all the accounts I have in Thunderbird. Entering the correct PWs fail as well. The quirk is that, if I ignore the messages, as time passes and I go back to Thunderbird from my browser or other apps and choose to Get Mail, each account connects and downloads whatever is on the server. I've been through the options in Thunderbird but can find none that I could determine that might be causing this.

Edited to Add More Information:
1) The first error panel says that the test failed because the link to the ISP is IN-USE.
2) The second error panel identifies the email account by address and says that the test failed.
3) When I go into Thunderbird Security Options and check on Saved Passwords, all are there, some there twice, and all are correct as compared to my password vault.

Any suggestions?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: New Quirk in Thunderbird 60.5.3

Post by viking33 »

Strange one, Bob.
I think the first thing I would do is to delete all of those passwords and reset /replace them with new carefully typed ones. Same with any cookies you may have stored away. Have to start somewhere.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I discovered this morning that all seems to be well again without any intervention on my part. I did take your advice about clearing cookies, VikingBob.

We shall see as time moves along.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I had similar Bob some days back ... did nothing and it self-resolved.Could raise query with TBird forum
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... d?show=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The problem comes and goes and then resolves itself. Haven't been to TBird forum yet but will do so.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

If my email client had problems polling the mail server*, saying something about the password, my first thought wouldn't be that there is a problem on my end, with my software. It could be, anything is possible, especially if one has just done some updates or changes etc. (which I don't do very often, perhaps might explain). But still, I would also wonder what's going at my ESP (email service provider).

That said, if in time with a just recovered system, perhaps I would do what Bob suggested, check all account details.

* Obviously, there are other, such as a timeout notice in the email client, then it's "oops, the network/Internet connection is down".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I have checked and rechecked all account details at my end even to viewing the passwords that my TB sends to the email server. All details are correct else it would never work. I'm suspicious of my ISP but contacting them and getting any degree of satisfaction is time consuming and positive outcome doubtful, IME.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:The problem comes and goes and then resolves itself. Haven't been to TBird forum yet but will do so.
I've stopped updating TB at version 52.9.1 32 bit because of inconsistencies in handling Extensions and Plug ins. Mozilla has been getting a little too demanding as to handling third party apps, so it seems. :sad:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I went back through everything today including running troubleshooting and disabling/re-enabling my wifi links. At one point troubleshooting returned a message saying that it had found and fixed a link problem - presumably to my ISP - but with no specificity as to what the problem or fix was. Since then, all has worked perfectly. I've had mail downloaded to some of the accounts that were stubborn and when I select Get Mail All, each account is checked on the email server at the ISP. I'll continue to monitor but if you hear nothing more from me, assume that the troubleshooting - for the nth time - resolved the issue. Sorry to be so non-specific, but I caught no further detail if it was offered.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Just in case someone else needs it, I found a solution and fixed this problem.

When I set up the email accounts after my system crash, I set the email protocol as POP3 instead of IMAP. This created mixed signals to the ISP's mail server because my iOS devices use only IMAP protocol. I searched to find out how to change Thunderbird accounts inbound mail server protocol options and changed them all to IMAP. A few hundred emails were then downloaded to my system.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)