replacement for Thunderbird

viking33
PlatinumLounger

replacement for Thunderbird

Post by viking33 »

Quicky message. Can anyone recommend a good replacement for Thunderbird?
( besides IE or Outlook)
We were dumped by Verizon and given over to AOL who is unbelievable in providing any form of email service. I still can't access my emails to receive messages and AOL doesn't know squat about TB. Never have I had to talk with a bunch like them.
I NEED a good free email provide . Thanks.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: replacement for Thunderbird

Post by Rudi »

I assume you are on Windows?

According to AlternativesTo.net, eM Client seems rather well rated. See em Client (and screenshots) here.

eM homepage here.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the ISP, Bob. Are you asking for email service providers as well? Since you have been using Thunderbird for quite some time, perhaps it's a new email provider you are looking for rather than an email client.

(Don't know if I can recommend the email client I use at home, though I've been using it for 25 years or so; Pegasus Mail is a bit old-fashioned.)

I guess there are several suggestions such as Gmail or Outlook.com when it comes to email providers.

If it's the same AOL Mail, then there is also this help page:
Use POP or IMAP to sync AOL Mail on a third-party app or download your email
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles with the ISP, Bob. Are you asking for email service providers as well? Since you have been using Thunderbird for quite some time, perhaps it's a new email provider you are looking for rather than an email client.

(Don't know if I can recommend the email client I use at home, though I've been using it for 25 years or so; Pegasus Mail is a bit old-fashioned.)

I guess there are several suggestions such as Gmail or Outlook.com when it comes to email providers.

If it's the same AOL Mail, then there is also this help page:
Use POP or IMAP to sync AOL Mail on a third-party app or download your email
Hi Argus and Rudi, thanks for some input and suggestions. AOL and Verizon HAD been working OK even after the midnight changeover from Verizon.net to AOL.com. Then suddenly I could not receive any emails but apparently could send OK. This MAY have happened after the latest upgrade of TB to ver 63.x.x?
So the first thing I did was roll back TB to the earlier version of 53.x.x. However, no change and still could not receive mail. Went over the settings a few dozen times and finally, decided to try AOL "support" who after shuffling me around from "tech to tech" decided they could not make AOL work with TB and suggested I call my local tech person!!! Who is that supposed to be? THAT IS ME! SO i TALKED TO MYSELF FOR A WHILE AND HAD A GOOD INTELLIGENT CONVERSATION. :groan:
Long story short, I would prefer to get an Email client that works with the yo yo's
at AOL in order to retain my old mail addresses, if possible. Hassle of notifying everyone of new addresses would not be a thing I would like to go through. I do have a Gmail account but again, new addy.
I'll give a look at EM Mail's trial version and welcome any and all other alternatives. :thankyou:
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bob, do you not have other ISP choices?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

viking33 wrote:Hi Argus and Rudi, thanks for some input and suggestions. AOL and Verizon HAD been working OK even after the midnight changeover from Verizon.net to AOL.com. Then suddenly I could not receive any emails but apparently could send OK. This MAY have happened after the latest upgrade of TB to ver 63.x.x?
[...]
Long story short, I would prefer to get an Email client that works with the yo yo's at AOL in order to retain my old mail addresses, if possible. Hassle of notifying everyone of new addresses would not be a thing I would like to go through. [...]
Hi Bob,

During all my years with email it has happened a couple of times that I have needed to update the settings (server and port etc.) for my email accounts, even without them being transferred to another email service provider (ESP); the most obvious reason (apart from another server address) has been a move to secure communication, i.e. from the well-known POP3 110 & SMTP 25 to connecting via what is often called POP3S using TLS or SSL and other ports, such as 995. (Most providers block outgoing traffic on port 25 nowadays.) That said, I've always got information about changes.

If it also happened at a time when you upgraded the email client, I can understand if it made troubleshooting a bit more difficult. But an upgrade shouldn't touch account settings, I hope. I can understand if you don't want to change ESP, if not necessary. (I also have a Gmail account, don't use it, and I don't like it.)

Sorry about my other link, Bob! It's from April, and as can be seen it mentions aol.com in the settings, not verizon.net. Again, sorry.

Had a look again, and AOL have a couple of articles for Verizon Customers, quite recent. And they do mention Thunderbird.
I can see a couple of articles that seems to be linked to this change, on this page:
All AOL Mail for Verizon Customers Articles

These two, for POP3, and IMAP if using that:
Update Verizon.net account info in POP3 email applications

Configure a Verizon.net account using IMAP

I think it's usually pretty straight forward, two addresses, two port numbers, and this case (secure com,) maybe some checkbox or dropdownlist (sometimes security settings follow what is entered in the box for port number); early on, years ago, when moving to TLS or SSL it could take some extra time, if some setting didn't work. :crossfingers:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Also, this page:
Verizon Email Retirement | Customer Service & Support

Both pages (the one above about POP3, and this one) mention:
I am having problems signing into AOL with my @verizon.net email address.
Be sure and use your full verizon.net email address, including @verizon.net, as your user name for AOL Mail when signing in, e.g., ­username@verizon.net.
I would check these in the email client:
- server addresses
- port numbers
- security settings
- user name (if I interpret the above, it should be "username@verizon.net")
- password
Last edited by Argus on 07 Nov 2018, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Bob, do you not have other ISP choices?
It's not the ISP but the email client. Verizon ( as they planned) gave up email client service and quietly handed it over to AOL.
So, am trying to get a new client that will work with the idiots at AOL. Just now trying EM mail but hjaven't yet deciphered the thing. Doesn't look too promising.
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:Also, this page:
Verizon Email Retirement | Customer Service & Support

Both pages (the one above about POP3, and this one) mention:
I am having problems signing into AOL with my @verizon.net email address.
Be sure and use your full verizon.net email address, including @verizon.net, as your user name for AOL Mail when signing in, e.g., ­username@verizon.net.
I would check these in the email client:
- server addresses
- port numbers
- security settings
- user name (if I interpret the above, it should be "username@verizon.net")
- password
I have checked those items quite a few times and tried different changes with any luck.
Will check those links again.
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

SWH!
Don't know how or why or who but this AM, all was working "normally."
TB is collecting all emails and I can send and receive again?
ALL I do know is Something Wonderful Happened.
As a precaution, I imaged the C Drive, full backup.
AOL is on parole status as long as it behaves itself. At least I don't have to notify all my contacts and business sites of having a new email address, etc. :clapping:
:thankyou: to all here for their help and suggestions.
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Good to hear, Bob!

I forgot to mention above, if possible I would test the username and password via webmail, to rule out other settings.
And if that works, create a new profile, user, as a test in the email client. (One interpretation of their instructions could be that the username had changed; i.e. with Verizon: username, and with AOL: ­username@verizon.net.) On the other hand, some email clients, such as Pegasus, can create good log files of what's going on.

Again, good to hear that SWH. :smile:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:Good to hear, Bob!

I forgot to mention above, if possible I would test the username and password via webmail, to rule out other settings.
And if that works, create a new profile, user, as a test in the email client. (One interpretation of their instructions could be that the username had changed; i.e. with Verizon: username, and with AOL: ­username@verizon.net.) On the other hand, some email clients, such as Pegasus, can create good log files of what's going on.

Again, good to hear that SWH. :smile:
Argus, One of the attempts was to create a new profile. I tried once and the AOL "tech" came aboard via remote control and she also created a new profile with what should have been the entries that AOL needed for ex-verizon users. Good old college try but still didn't work!
That is why this is remaining a mystery and is written in the stars! :scratch: :grin:
BTW, still working OK as yet.
BOB