Using File/Send Link in Yahoo Mail

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Using File/Send Link in Yahoo Mail

Post by Hey Jude »

I have an interesting query. In the past, I've had no issues using the File/Send Link option to mail websites to my contacts. Now however, when I choose that option, Yahoo comes up but in the TO: box this is what shows up mailto:?body=http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/ms-offic ... nuals.html I'm not sure what changed, but I know I'm not the only one, as I've not received office links sent to me because of the same problem. Right now my workaround is copy/pasting the correct html link to the body of the mail. Any ideas?

Edited to add: I could change my default "send to" mail client in the Tools/Options, but would like an answer because several friends only use Yahoo mail and have the same issue.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

HansV
Administrator

Re: Using File/Send Link in Yahoo Mail

Post by HansV »

Which browser are you using?
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I'm using FF 3.6.8 and Win 7. I just changed the default "send to" email to Thunderbird and it puts the link in the subject matter where it belongs leaving the cursor at the TO:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:I have an interesting query. In the past, I've had no issues using the File/Send Link option to mail websites to my contacts. ...
What do you mean by the above? Do you mean a link to web site or the "whole file structure" of the web site?

I also use Yahoo and will gladly try it to see what happens to me. Just thought of another question. Are you doing this sending from the Yahoo mail WEB site or from your local email client, such as TB?

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I'm using Yahoo mail. I have another website open i.e. http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/ms-offic ... nuals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and when, using FF browser, I click File/Send Link the link goes into the TO: box instead of the Subject box where it goes if I use Thunderbird.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm glad it works in Thunderbird. There's a lot of information about the File | Send Link... option being disabled or doing nothing, but I haven't found anything about the problem you describe. :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I looked to but thank you. It always used to work. My boss kept telling me he was sending me links to pages but I never got any of them. It wasn't until I tried it using the same process that I discovered the problem (link ended up in the TO: box instead,) and had him use Outlook as a workaround, but he is averse to change and I was curious as to what happened. It's not a Win 7 issue, as office has XP. Thanks. I wonder Al, if you get the same result?

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I just changed default mail "send to " to Gmail and outside of having to log in to access it, the link ended up in the subject box as it was supposed to. Wonder what the difference is.....still looking around.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:I just changed default mail "send to " to Gmail and outside of having to log in to access it, the link ended up in the subject box as it was supposed to. Wonder what the difference is.....still looking around.
Sorry, I hate to be a dumb ox, but where are you changing the "default mail" please? If I go into Internet Options, it doesn't seem to allow me to enter anything. Like I said, I know I'm missing something, but it's because TB has been my trusted email app for so, so long! (see attachment)

Like you, if I try it, my Thunderbird opens with the stuff in the correct position. My use of Yahoo and Gmail is from Thunderbird with the two setup as additional accounts. And when I send email, even from Yahoo, I do it inside TB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You cannot set Gmail as your overall e-mail client, but you can set it to be used for e-mail links on web pages. To do so, you need to install the Gmail Notifier.

Warning: Gmail notifier is not compatible with the Google Toolbar!
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Hey Jude wrote:I just changed default mail "send to " to Gmail and outside of having to log in to access it, the link ended up in the subject box as it was supposed to. Wonder what the difference is.....still looking around.
Did it ever work with FF 3.6.8 & Yahoo Mail?

This sure reads as though a recent update to one or the other broke something. It can be really hard to tell when an AJAX application such as Yahoo Mail gets updated. FF has been updated twice in less than a week. The 3.6.8 update was rushed out to fix a security problem.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I would like to know why does anyone feel that the "Subject" area is the Correct area for this Link to placed?

With Outlook and a few other protection programs, a link in the subject area can be treated as a intruder and may get rejected.
But a link in the body, will NOT be treated as such. With Outlook 2007 a link is added to the body as designed.

I do not like to have the link in the subject area, as one selects the entry to open the email, the link may be activated and the linked site opened.
EDIT, Added attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveA wrote:I would like to know why does anyone feel that the "Subject" area is the Correct area for this Link to placed?
Dave, I'm pretty sure that she meant the body of the message as she said Thunderbird does it properly as shown in this clip.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

From Hey Jude
I'm using FF 3.6.8 and Win 7. I just changed the default "send to" email to Thunderbird and it puts the link in the subject matter where it belongs leaving the cursor at the TO:
My comment is to the above quote?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assume, just like Al, that this is a mistake on Hey Jude's part, and that she actually meant to write "body" instead of "subject".
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:I assume, just like Al, that this is a mistake on Hey Jude's part, and that she actually meant to write "body" instead of "subject".
Actually, I was wrong in how I explained it as you all succinctly pointed out. I meant when TB is brought up after clicking "Send Link" in the SUBJECT line is the title of the link while the actual executable html is in the Body of the mail. "Train - Drops Of Jupiter (Official Music Video) " is what appears in my SUBJECT line and in the BODY of the mail is this:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-142086 ... sic_video/

Both of these are included when I click "Send Link" as shown by the screenshot Al placed. Please forgive my awkwardness in not explaining it better. It works properly with Gmail and TB so I'm not worrying about why it doesn't in FF anymore. Thank you all for your help :clapping:

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Bigaldoc wrote: Sorry, I hate to be a dumb ox, but where are you changing the "default mail" please? If I go into Internet Options, it doesn't seem to allow me to enter anything. Like I said, I know I'm missing something, but it's because TB has been my trusted email app for so, so long! (see attachment)

Like you, if I try it, my Thunderbird opens with the stuff in the correct position. My use of Yahoo and Gmail is from Thunderbird with the two setup as additional accounts. And when I send email, even from Yahoo, I do it inside TB.
I went to Tools/Options/Applications/Mail to: and it allows me to pick any mail application I choose. I have never set up TB to send my Yahoo or Gmail. I haven't used TB for that terribly long so basically use it as I did Outlook Express for the similarities. It looks like I should have thought more clearly about my issue and found a better way to explain it. Thanks Al for your screen shot. It's what I meant in regards to the TITLE and the SUBJECT. :hairout:

Update: I just checked my XP Home desktop and Yahoo mail "Send link" still doesn't work properly, however, IE 8 does work fine using Yahoo mail so there has to be some way to remove that "mailto:?body=http://" which goes into the TO line instead of the BODY. Both FF are 3.6.8. Now I won't rest until I figure it out :scratch:

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Hey Jude wrote:I went to Tools/Options/Applications/Mail to: and it allows me to pick any mail application I choose.
OMG, I must admit I never thought of that. I've only messed in the Applications window a time or two.

Well my friend, I'm a bit reluctant to try to duplicate what you're seeing because of my significant dependence on my Yahoo account as my prime contacts, calendar and memo for synching my new Blackberry. I'm scared to upset that apple cart 'cause it took me so long to get where it is.

Good luck in finding the answer. I wish my other computer wasn't dead.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

It's ok Al. Thanks for trying to help. It has to have something to do with some code in FF is my guess since it works in IE with all mail applications, and FF with every other mail application. When and if I figure it out, I'll post. Thank you!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Hey Jude wrote:It has to have something to do with some code in FF is my guess since it works in IE with all mail applications, and FF with every other mail application. When and if I figure it out, I'll post.
Have you tried reverting to an older version of FF or to a beta of version 4? Have you checked the Yahoo Mail support forums to see if there is an issues with FF 3.6.8?

Joe
Joe