about:config for Thunderbird

BobH
UraniumLounger

about:config for Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

Some time ago I set my Thunderbird config file to make all addresses default to BCC in order to save my correspondents the trouble of deleting email addresses for mail they wished to forward. I've discovered that it is causing problems with a listserv I subscribe to and would like to revert to prior settings, but I've slept more than twice since the change and cannot remember what about:config setting to change or what value it should have.

I've found nothing, yet, searching on the Mozilla forum.

Anyone?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: about:config for Thunderbird

Post by HansV »

It seems there is no native way to do this. Perhaps you installed the add-on Use Bcc Instead? If so, you can turn the feature on and off in the options for this add-on.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

Like I said, I've slept more than twice since I did it and do not remember what I did. I even confused Firefox's about:config changes with Thunderbird.

More looking is in my future. I tried downloading a fresh TB and installing it but apparently there is some residual somewhere in its files.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

BobH wrote:Thanks, Hans!

Like I said, I've slept more than twice since I did it and do not remember what I did. I even confused Firefox's about:config changes with Thunderbird.

More looking is in my future. I tried downloading a fresh TB and installing it but apparently there is some residual somewhere in its files.
Unless you installed with a clean profile, the TB will remember everything - Blackmail potential is huge...

You could try a trawl through user.js and prefs.js and see if anything looks familiar.

I agree with Hans though that a quick internet search suggests that an extension has to be used to BCC everyone.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I checked again and found a add-on app that was causing the problem. It had been so long that I had no recollection and hadn't noticed it when I checked (gotta love those senior moments).

Anyway, it's all resolved thanks to Hans and John. The culprit was the add-on 'Use BCC Instead'.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)