Is It Possible to View Archived Email with Thunderbird?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Is It Possible to View Archived Email with Thunderbird?

Post by BobH »

I get messages routinely asking if I want to archive my email. Invariably, I respond to allow them to be archived. If I've ever needed to find an archived message, I don't remember the occasion; nor can I find information about how it might be done. I searched the Mozillazine KB without striking gold. I also posted on the forum there but suspect that it will be some time before I get a response (if ever).

I have a pressing need to find email in order to verify an email addy. I believe that it must have been archived because it does not appear in my listing of All contents of any of my inboxes.

Can anyone help?
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Is It Possible to View Archived Email with Thunderbird?

Post by viking33 »

I have never heard of this "offer" before this, Bob.
It does make me suspicious though. Do you have any idea of where it originates?
It might be totally proper but if I do any archiving it would be to my own destination, like a memory stick or DVD for example. I don't even trust cloud storage. IMHO. :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^
It is a standard part of the way Thunderbird manages disk space for email accounts. I am not suspicious of the process, but I am confounded by not being able to see an Archives folder for accounts. I got 2 responses on the Mozillazine forum but neither of them shed any light on that matter that would allow me to view archived messages. In fact, in following up on them I found that neither suggested solution could be followed on my version 52.2.0 of TB. I've done some screen shots to show that their suggestions didn't seem to apply to the latest release but it will take me some time to formulate my posts.

Thanks for the response VB!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi BobH, my email is Gmail which I access using Thunderbird portable in POP3 form. All I store in TB is my inbox but only temporarily as I have Gmail archive my mail when accessed using POP. This means I can delete anything in TB knowing it will still be in Gmail where it can only be deleted by me.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Hi Bob
In account settings under Copies & Folders there's a section for Message Archives. On my TB setup this is set to go to "Archives" folder on: Local Folders. That setting would be a place to start.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Post by geecee »

By this time your question has most likely been resolved to your satisfaction and I apologise for bumping it up but I found some time ago a programme called MailStore Home which I use to archive all my emails (now on Outlook.com and previously on Bigpond.com). Should anyone be interested, I think it's worthwhile. It can be found here https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/mailstore-home/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. A portable version can be selected.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note: