Windows Live Mail 2012

RonH
SilverLounger

Re: Windows Live Mail 2012

Post by RonH »

So long as WLM stays as is then I am a happy chappie. In my searches I have not found a simple mail client that will enable one set of local storage folders for all accounts. Drag and drop into a subject folder from any email provider is really useful, for me at least. If anyone knows of a mail client that offers like for like simplicity then I would love to know.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Thunderbird will do all that, although it does take a little setting up.

The import settings will offer to import a variety of things from other mail clents, and if it's just the address book you're worried about a simple export to csv in your existing client and import from csv in Thunderbird should sort you out.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for that tip Jon ... I will have a detailed study at some stage. I am sure that the Address Book is easily handled so this won't be an issue. But WLM makes it so easy to drag any email from any @ source into any of the Storage Folders I have created. You say this can be done on Thunderbird so best I look up some of the UTube videos in due course.

Thanks all for your inputs.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

JoeP wrote:
spetho2001 wrote:I have been getting notices from Microsoft telling me that I will not be able to use Windows Live Mail 2012 any more as my email application. I will be able to use Outlook.com on the web but will not have an email application on my computer anymore unless I purchase or subscribe to Office 365. I do not want to subscribe and I see it is kind of expensive to purchase especially if you have more than one computer.
Can anyone tell me what people are doing about this?
Thank you,
TomS
Note that with Office 365 Home, currently $99 USD per year, you get to install the current version Office Pro Plus on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets, & 5 phones. Not so expensive when you have multiple devices. See Choose your Office for more details.

Joe
Hi Joel,
I am determined not to start paying subscription fees to these companies. I paid a lot of money for the software outright. This Email client should have been included until the end. If I have to I will purchase Office 365 for one computer. It is a lot of money. I have two Windows computers. I might say that I just purchased a Google ChromeBook and don't have this trouble.
Thank you,
TomS

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

JoeP wrote:
spetho2001 wrote:I have been getting notices from Microsoft telling me that I will not be able to use Windows Live Mail 2012 any more as my email application. I will be able to use Outlook.com on the web but will not have an email application on my computer anymore unless I purchase or subscribe to Office 365. I do not want to subscribe and I see it is kind of expensive to purchase especially if you have more than one computer.
Can anyone tell me what people are doing about this?
Thank you,
TomS
Note that with Office 365 Home, currently $99 USD per year, you get to install the current version Office Pro Plus on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets, & 5 phones. Not so expensive when you have multiple devices. See Choose your Office for more details.

Joe
Joel,
This is the one I am looking at, which I have a little bit of a hard time finding when I am on the Microsoft site.
Office Home & Business 2016

Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook for 1 PC

$229.99
https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/office" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buy now

Learn more

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

DaveA wrote:Thanks Hans,
I mostly have Windows Live Mail 2012 installed to help others that use it.
I just need to add the email addresses that I use there to my Outlook 365.
Dave,
I believe it is Office 365 not Outlook 365. So confusing!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Office 365 is the subscription version of Microsoft Office. It currently offers the 2016 version of the Office applications (Word 2016, Outlook 2016 etc.)
Best wishes,
Hans

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

HansV wrote:Windows Live Mail is no longer being supported or updated, but it's not going away any time soon. It will keep on working with most types of e-mail accounts, just not with Hotmail/Outlook.com
Hans, Do you really think that Microsoft will keep WLM, yet their own web email will not work on it and others do?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know what you mean by "keep WLM". Microsoft will no longer support or update Windows Live Mail, but it is still available for download. I wouldn't be surprised if it was retracted in the not too distant future.

However, if you have installed Windows Live Mail now, it won't magically disappear. I should keep on running until it's so old that it's not compatible with Windows anymore. I have no idea when that might be.
Best wishes,
Hans

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

As of June 30,2016 you will not be able to sync your MICROSOFT Outlook.com web mail with this MICROSOFT email client. To me that is not compatible. I guess we don't see things the same do we?
Thank you,
TomS

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

HansV wrote:Office 365 is the subscription version of Microsoft Office. It currently offers the 2016 version of the Office applications (Word 2016, Outlook 2016 etc.)
Yes but not Outlook 365

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is correct - 365 is the name of the suite, 2016 is the version of the individual applications.
Best wishes,
Hans

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

FWIW referring to earlier particular comments I am a user of Thunderbird. I frequently and readily Click, Drag and Drop messages between folders.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

spetho2001 wrote:
HansV wrote:Office 365 is the subscription version of Microsoft Office. It currently offers the 2016 version of the Office applications (Word 2016, Outlook 2016 etc.)
Yes but not Outlook 365
You will also find that NONE of the apps are referred to a 365, including Word, Power Point, Excel and etc.
I use the "365" as it includes ALL updates and Upgrades as they are released.
When I installed "Office 365" it was a earlier version and I was told when a new version was released and I was able to upgrade for no additional charge.

Also remember that there are other versions of "365" that will install on run of other platforms as Office 2016 will NOT.

I hold a license for 5 devices, which I pay $99.99 a year for. I just renewed my subscription this weekend.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

MalcolmWalker wrote:FWIW referring to earlier particular comments I am a user of Thunderbird. I frequently and readily Click, Drag and Drop messages between folders.
Thanks for qualification. I have installed Thunderbird with my 3 email addresses and the single set Storage Folders that I have created can be used across all accounts :clapping:
I had some problems trying to install the Address Book from my Google account using .csv/Excel but found .vcf imported OK ... just needs a clean up.

I will retain my WLM programme for the time being until I am confident with Thunderbird.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

DaveA wrote:
spetho2001 wrote:
Yes but not Outlook 365
You will also find that NONE of the apps are referred to a 365, including Word, Power Point, Excel and etc.
When I installed "Office 365" it was a earlier version and I was told when a new version was released and I was able to upgrade for no additional charge.

Also remember that there are other versions of "365" that will install on run of other platforms as Office 2016 will NOT.

I hold a license for 5 devices, which I pay $99.99 a year for. I just renewed my subscription this weekend.
Hans,
Look at the quote from DaveA
DaveA wrote:
Thanks Hans,

He refers to OUTLOOK 365

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

DaveA wrote:
spetho2001 wrote:
Yes but not Outlook 365

Hans, Do you find something wrong with
MICROSOFT
Office Home & Business 2016 1 PC 229.99
It comes with Outlook ?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

YES, some of the other platforms do not support Outlook.
But, the PC Windows version is the FULL suite.

Have a look at http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msu ... are_Office" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Home package in the first column.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

spetho2001 wrote:Hans,
Look at the quote from DaveA
DaveA wrote:
Thanks Hans,

He refers to OUTLOOK 365
I think we can end this discussion now.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

spetho2001 wrote:Hans, Do you find something wrong with
MICROSOFT
Office Home & Business 2016 1 PC 229.99
It comes with Outlook ?
Yes, Office Home and Business 2016 comes with Outlook.
Best wishes,
Hans