Message Filters in Thunderbird

BobH
UraniumLounger

Message Filters in Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

I'm trying to make more intelligent use of my email client, Mozilla's Thunderbird. Rudi, and perhaps others, have suggested that one should not leave mail in the Inbox after it has been read. In trying to put that advice into use, I created the Message Filter shown in the screenshot below. I can run it and it will move mail marked as having been read to my archive. I would like for it to move the messages automatically, without my having to select and run the filter tool.

Is there any way to do this?
Message Filter Example.gif
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Message Filters in Thunderbird

Post by Rudi »

What happens if you uncheck the Manually Run check mark?
Is there any option in the Apply filters when drop down that specify when new mail is delivered to the inbox?
Currently you are working with Filter Rules. Are there no "higher level" rules that can act on mail being received into the inbox?

===============
PS: I can recall mentioning that there are time management and best practice references regarding keeping ones mailbox empty; and I tried this theory in the past but have since abandoned it. I find it easier to keep all my mail in the inbox (only moving very specific mail to other categorized folders) and rather apply the 4D's1 practice on my inbox to manage my unread email. I find it convenient that all my email is in one place and searching and sorting is easier on the inbox that across multiple sub folders.

1 References for the 4D's:
-- How to use the 4 D's to tame your Inbox
-- Use the "Four Ds for Decision-Making" model (PDF file)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Message Filters in Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

I posted on the Mozilla Thunderbird forum and got a reply from an expert telling me that there is no option to implement a filter when a post is categorized. I've reconciled myself to running the filter manually.

I like the 4Ds. I used that a lot before I retired. I think I learned it under a different name . . . or maybe by just barking my shins against a sharp object enough times.

Thanks for the response.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs