Compacting Folders via Thunderbird

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Compacting Folders via Thunderbird

Post by Gloria E »

Is it customary to have folders compacted three times a week? Is there some place I can change settings to change how often compactings should be allowed?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Compacting Folders via Thunderbird

Post by HansV »

Since your question is not about Outlook, but about Mozilla Thunderbird, I have moved it to the Other E-mail Clients forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Gloria E wrote:Is it customary to have folders compacted three times a week? Is there some place I can change settings to change how often compactings should be allowed?
I don't know how 'customary' it is, but you may glean some information from:
Compacting folders - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Please note the following comment from the above link:
If you don't compact your mail folders periodically, they can grow very large and make Thunderbird slow to a crawl. If you wait too long before compacting, you can also lose the entire contents of one or more folders.

Personally, unless you have a specific problem, I'd leave it well alone.
Leif

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Gloria E wrote:... have folders compacted ...
1.JPG
Glorai, I am using Thunderbird 1.5.0.4, so the location of the options may change. Above is a screen snapshot of "Tools, Options, Advanced, Offline & Disk Space".
FWIW I wrote a little Word VBA utility that will strip attachments from mailboxes. I run that every three or four months to reduce - quite dramatically - the size of the various archives. Since I maintain monthly folders Trash200910, Trash200911, Trash200912, Trash201001 etc. it is easy to reduce bloat once a folder is more than, say, 3 months old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Thank you Cris, I knew I had seen that somewhere, but it had completely disappeared from my mind.

Thanks for the refresher course.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

ChrisGreaves wrote:FWIW I wrote a little Word VBA utility that will strip attachments from mailboxes.
You mean you reinvented the wheel? :evilgrin:

There is a dedicated TB extension for extracting attachments, I use it at work. It does the job I want very neatly:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/556

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:You mean you reinvented the wheel?
Not really:
"Just select the messages containing the attachments you want to extract ..." I don't make the user select messages.
Just point to the folder and click.
It removes all attachments from all messages in that folder.
No need to open the folder and select messages.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle