Thunderbird Error: This folder is being processed. UPDATE

BobH
UraniumLounger

Thunderbird Error: This folder is being processed. UPDATE

Post by BobH »

Is anyone here running TB 3.0.4 successfully?

I've been a TB user and advocate for a long time. While I had the occasional learning curve acquisition problems at first, I consider myself a veteran now having delved into it enough to be a demanding user if not a SME. Recently, I've experienced a spate of problems with my router hardware. Since I upgraded TB from 3.0.2 (maybe 3.0.3) to 3.0.4 very recently, I can't tell for sure whether my TB problems are related to the upgrade or the hardware problems.

At any rate, NO mail for any of my accounts automatically downloads as it used to do. When I click GET MAIL, messages for accounts other than my primary account will download (proving that my POP connection to the ISP server is OK). When I select the primary account and click GET MAIL, I get the error: Alert! This folder is being processed. Please wait until processing is complete to get messages. Processing never seems to complete as I now have several hundred messages backed up (mail2web).

I've posted on the Mozilla Thunderbird forum. I've also been through the TB Knowledge Base articles and tried everything suggested there. I would reinstall an earlier version except that I don't have one on this computer and can't find a place to download one by googling.

I'm about ready to uninstall TB and leave it forever because I'm not getting any resolution of the problem after almost a week. The problem persists on this desktop which is ethernet connected directly to the cable modem - bypassing any possible router signal problem - as well as occurring on the laptop at about the same time that the router went on the fritz.

Searching on this error message reveals that it has been a problem with releases of TB going back to at least 2001. There are apparently many causes. I find it very frustrating that the error message is the same regardless of the causal factor because it makes checking suggested solutions mind bogglingly difficult. I wish Mozilla developers would do something to isolate causes and differentiate error messages (which I suggested on their forum).

If anyone has a solution for this, I would greatly appreciate - and gratefully receive - any pointers. It would also be nice to know if anyone else is experiencing this or other problems with TB 3.0.4.

I don't like Outlook or OE for a lot of reasons that caused me to go to Mozilla some years ago. Now that Mozilla is failing me, I'd like to hear your suggestions for other email clients. I'm still running on XP (Pro) SP3 and use Firefox as my browser.

(There! I feel a little better, now.)

**************************** UPDATE ****************************

Some of us think very slowly (and sometimes not at all :scratch: ). It finally occurred to me that since the problem was occurring with only one email account that deleting and setting it up again might fix it.

It did!

:clapping: :fanfare: :smile:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Thunderbird Error: This folder is being processed. UPDATE

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:I would reinstall an earlier version except that I don't have one on this computer and can't find a place to download one by googling.
I see that your problem is resolved.
I was unhappy with some of the changes to TB and have fallen back to 1.5.0.4

Let me know here or via http://www.ChrisGreaves.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you want to obtain an earlier release
003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Thunderbird Error: This folder is being processed. UPDATE

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the offer, Chris. I might take you up on it. Although the original problem has been resolved, I'm now having some problems with the Authentication settings. TB won't send an outgoing message because it thinks I'm trying to use name and password authentication at my ISP and my ISP doesn't even support the functions. I've verified that options are OFF on the SMTP server settings and as these option are not specific to accounts (the SMTP connection is used universally for sending to the outgoing server) I might have to delete all accounts and set them all up again to get around it. So far, the Mozilla Support forum has not come through with anything edifying.

Again, thanks for the offer. I'll drop you a line if I need an earlier version.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016