Galaxy S3 Mini Mail App

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Galaxy S3 Mini Mail App

Post by IMNetUser »

I am relatively new using a smartphone. Galaxy S3 Mini.

I want to be able to download messages to phone and read them but leave them on the mail server to be downloaded and deleted from main computer using n e-mail management program.

It comes with a Samsung e-mail app which is fine for the most part. I have 5 different e-mail accounts I want to view on the phone - download only on 4 of them. Download send on one main account.

I can setup the accounts (4 ATT sbcglobal.net accounts and one yahoo.com account). The Yahoo.Com account is POP3 (pop.mail.yahoo.com, SSL Security, port 995) and incoming server section allows the option to Never delete the messages from server. However, the SBCGlobal.Net settings are for imap (imap.mail.yahoo.com, SSL Security, port 993) and they have no setting to never delete messages from server.

Normally this is not a problem as long as you do not delete the message from the phone but I keep accidentally hitting the "Trash Can" icon on the phone. When I go to the Trash Folder to select deleted messages to put back in the inbox, I have accidentally hit the "Trash Can" delete option again.

I downloaded and installed the Yahoo E-mail App and have the same problem.

Workaround, I put the phone in a bulkier holder and try to use a stylus on the e-mail programs. This has reduced but not stopped the accidental e-mail PURGES.

I am trying to dummy proof this and option may not be available - except for me to not use the phone e-mail function.

Any help/suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
Scott

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Re: Galaxy S3 Mini Mail App

Post by IMNetUser »

Quick Update:

Under "Sync Settings" I tried un-checking the "Sync Mail" option.

The only problems is that I could not download any of the e-mails. The phone gave me a message stating the Sync option was not activated. :hairout:
Scott

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I suggest you look at K-9 Mail, Scott, far better IMHO, I use that instead on all my android devices.
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

On my Samsung phone I use the default email app to collect mail from three different POP3 services.

I go into the email settings, Account settings, select the specific account, More settings, Incoming settings, Delete email from server > Never
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's for POP3, Stuart. IMAP doesn't have that setting. Scott's SBCGlobal.net accounts are IMAP.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That's what happens when I read a post too quickly, Hans. IMAP shouldn't be deleting stuff from the server when it's downloaded anyway. It's supposed to keep the mail synchronized. It should only delete mail from the server if it has been deleted on the phone.
StuartR

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Claude wrote:I suggest you look at K-9 Mail, Scott, far better IMHO, I use that instead on all my android devices.
Thanks Claude - I will check this out and let you know what happens.
Scott

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

StuartR wrote: ... IMAP shouldn't be deleting stuff from the server when it's downloaded anyway. It's supposed to keep the mail synchronized. It should only delete mail from the server if it has been deleted on the phone.
You are correct Sturat. The programs works correctly in this manner.

However, the issue is really my hands. Due to medical issues, I have problems feeling and holding things. When reading the e-mails, I tend to hit the delete icon's by mistake. When I try to retrieve from trash folder - I sometimes hit the "Trash can" icon in lieu of Folder icon. Thus the workaround of a bulkier case and using a stylus.

I probably need to go with a larger phone with bigger icons when/if I can afford it. In the meantime, If I accidentloy accidentally delete the e-mails, I am leaving them alone until I can get to home computer to retrieve them frm trash folder before permantly permanently deleting them :blush:

Gets frustrating when you continue making stupid mistakes.

Edited 20140825 ~1102 CDT to correct spelling.
Scott

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I'd think twice calling an Admin that!! :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

Arrrggghhhhhhhh

:stupidme:

Sorry Stuart !!!!

Please know that at no time did my hands leave the wrists :blush:

I need to start taking much more time proofing the text before posting.

:thankyou: Rudi - helpful as always.
Scott

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Now I'll never know what you called me.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Scott never fixed it in this post, so you can peek...but I warn you...its not pretty!!! :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Ah, I'm familiar with that common typo. It's a lot less offensive than many things I've been called over the years.
StuartR

IMNetUser
3StarLounger

Post by IMNetUser »

UPDATE
I have downloaded and installed the K-9 Android mail program. I have been using it for a couple of weeks and so far - great !

Thanks Claude :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I even started to generate a few e-mails from the program (slowly getting into 21st century).

I have a new question for the program (bear with me as I attempt to explain).

I have a domain name I use for sideline projects (eBay account, Amazon account, etc.).

I have created aliases using my domain name pending on the project I am working on (Ex Selling or buying something on eBay for some one - "eBay@My-Domain-Name.Com").

I have the registrar send the e-mails to the correct yahoo.com or sbcglobal.com e-mail account. I have setup the e-mail accounts to respond back in the aliases (ex "eBay@My-Domain-Name.Com"). This way, if I am not at home, I can send e-mails from the aliases with he aliases showing in the from - not the base ATT e-mail account name.

I want to setup K-9 E-Mail program the same way. I found the settings for "Identity". I created an eBay Identity and played with he settings. I can change the "Reply To" field, but apparently the program is requiring the base ATT E-mail account to send the message. This means the base e-mail account is shown and can be "harvested" for mailing lists.

Do you know away around this ? I have not found an online help article yet - but that is not saying much.

BTW - I know I can log into the yahoo account via browser on smart phone - but that is more cumbersome. I run into the fat finger, multiple are touch problem again. It is an acceptable workaround for now if I need it and can not wait for a computer.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Scott