Searching Thunderbird Inbox Contents

BobH
UraniumLounger

Searching Thunderbird Inbox Contents

Post by BobH »

Is it possible to search through all of the messages in Thunderbird folders using a software tool and a search argument? I cannot discover a way to do it using Thunderbird (it might be an operator head space problem). Is there an app (preferably freeware or shareware) that I can get that will allow me to do this? I would like to be able to search all of a selected folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) including the addressee, sender, date and time stamp, and actual body of the message.

:cheers: TIA :chocciebar:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Searching Thunderbird Inbox Contents

Post by Rudi »

:laugh: Cute new avatar (for going Gold, no doubt!)...and a typical Dachshund stare!!

Isn't this what you are needing...
Gloda in Thunderbird is the Global Database search feature, built into Thunderbird and positioned just above the filter bar.

To make sure fast indexed search is available in Mozilla Thunderbird:

Select Tools | Preferences… or Thunderbird | Preferences… from the menu.
Go to the Advanced tab.
Open the General category.
Make sure Enable Global Search and Indexer is enabled under Advanced Configuration.
Close the Advanced preferences window.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:
Isn't this what you are needing...
Gloda in Thunderbird is the Global Database search feature, built into Thunderbird and positioned just above the filter bar.

To make sure fast indexed search is available in Mozilla Thunderbird:

Select Tools | Preferences… or Thunderbird | Preferences… from the menu.
Go to the Advanced tab.
Open the General category.
Make sure Enable Global Search and Indexer is enabled under Advanced Configuration.
Close the Advanced preferences window.

Thank you, Rudi!

I'm giving the search another trial. :cheers:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I rarely need to use anything other than quick filters, there's a link to details of that on the page Rudi linked to. Quick filters are great if the email you're looking for is in the currently active folder, the search box (which I find clumsy to use) is useful if you have lots of folders to search.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube