Message Filters in Thunderbird

BobH
UraniumLounger

Message Filters in Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

I have a recalcitrant message filter. I cannot figure out what I've done wrong. I've searched the Mozilla Help pages but have not found anything that addresses my problem. Before going to the Mozilla forums, I thought I'd ask here.

Here is the message filter first panel:
filter prob.jpg

And here is the panel showing filter rules:
filter rules.jpg
I have tried more things than I can remember, being especially careful of spelling and capitalization. Absent the ability to copy and paste the contents of the 'From' field, I have no other means of ensuring precision. Sometimes a filter condition will work and other times, not. I cannot detect a pattern. The strangest thing is that I have similar filters in several other message folders for different email addresses. All of them work.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated and gratefully received.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Message Filters in Thunderbird

Post by stuck »

Beyond the unhelpful comment that this must be due to Thunderbird weirdness...

You say it works sometimes but not others, that suggests to me that the filter is OK and when it 'fails' it's not because the filter is wrong but because the message you think matches the filter and thus should be trapped, in fact does NOT match the filter, hence it is ignored by the filter.

Then there is always the std debugging route of disable all add-ins and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, reinstate add-ins one at a time until the problem reappears.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Message Filters in Thunderbird

Post by BobH »

Ken, I think you are correct. The problem is due to the weirdness of Thunderbird.

I created a second filter identical in every respect except for the name of the filter. Worked like a charm! All of the spam is now gone. Time will tell whether it will continue to do so!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs