Thunderbird 17 released

HansV
Administrator

Thunderbird 17 released

Post by HansV »

Thunderbird 17.0 is available from the internal update mechanism or from Mozilla Thunderbird.

See Release Notes.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Thunderbird 17 released

Post by Bigaldoc »

I guess I'll be first.

After installing 17.0 I have no icons in the upper right corner for min, max and exit. I've searched through Options and Toolbar menus and can't find something that needs to be turned on. Since these are "standard" in all Windows programs, I wonder if it's a "bug?"

I can still get by, using the Task Bar to do any of those three functions, but it's very strange...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I just did the update and got some strange things, too. The upper right corner boxes didn't go away, but the X changed to an icon.
tb17.jpg
The stranger thing is that it now opens twice with a single click on the system tray icon and if I minimize it (them) I cannot open it again - I can only exit the program.
TB17too.jpg
This is on our older P4 machine running XP Pro SP3. The i5 machine is awaiting a cooler and fan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I rebooted the machine. When I opened TB this time - being careful to click only once on the shortcut - it opened 2 copies of the program and, as it did before, gave me a message on the second copy that the server was busy. This time I tried closing the second copy by using File|Exit and managed to close only the one copy. Before rebooting, I could only close one copy. I can minimize it and re-activate it, but not by clicking the tray icon.

Bet there will be an update pretty soon, huh?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Bigaldoc wrote:After installing 17.0 I have no icons in the upper right corner for min, max and exit. I've searched through Options and Toolbar menus and can't find something that needs to be turned on.
I found the answer at Mozillazine.

Tools, Options, Advanced, Config Editor. Look for " mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar " and change its value to FALSE to get the TITLE BAR back.

Lord only knows why or how that happened but it looks like the default based on others having the same problem.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Bob, if I were you I'd first try to change the THEME to a default to see if that's having anything to do with your problem.

If that doesn't help, try the Mozillazine forum. There's usually pretty good stuff there and there ARE already posts about 17.0 there:

MozillaZine Forums

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Big Al !
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

One would have thought that the extensive alpha and beta testing cycles would have caught such an eminently visible bug...
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sometimes I have the overwhelming urge to abide by "if it ain't broke ..." and bypass all these many updates.

But where browsers and email clients are concerned, one has to be concerned about SECURITY issues that Mozilla have fixed that I'm not aware of. So I go along and update every time, in spite of the fact that what I already have is working just fine.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH, there IS a lotta noise in the forum about themes causing problems like yours and mine. Post if changing to the default theme as a test helps any.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I removed the Walnut appearance theme and the screen reverted to the expected layout in the upper right corner and it no longer opens 2 copies. Haven't noticed anything else . . . yet . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)