Can Thunderbird Be Used for SMS Texting?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Can Thunderbird Be Used for SMS Texting?

Post by BobH »

It is my understanding that SMS texting is a function of telephony systems, both land lines and mobiles. Because the world of the Internet and the world of telephony have grown so closely toward each other, it occurred to me that it might be possible to use my email client (Thunderbird) to send and receive text messages. I've done some searching for add-ons for TB but it's not clear to me that it can be done. One of the apps stated that the only place where this capability is available is South Africa.

There would have to be some access point within the WWW (and maybe at every ISP node) that would be able to switch to the traditional voice/now mobile networks and there would have to be software that works out how routing would be accomplished. I view it (probably very simplistically) as a software mechanism that can be set to use the telephony networks as default but allow cloned copies of messages to be sent via the web. Of course, something would have resolve telephone number addressing and IP addresssing, too.

Anybody know about this?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can Thunderbird Be Used for SMS Texting?

Post by HansV »

Many cell phone providers let you send an e-mail to a cell phone which will arrive as an SMS text message. Send the e-mail to phonenumber@provider.com, e.g. 4083853229@vtext.net for Verizon.
See How to Send Free Text Messages (SMS) via Email for a list of phone provider e-mail domains.

And, of course, most "modern" phones can send and receive e-mail...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

Will give that a try!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

HansV wrote:Many cell phone providers let you send an e-mail to a cell phone which will arrive as an SMS text message. Send the e-mail to phonenumber@provider.com, e.g. 4083853229@vtext.net for Verizon.
See How to Send Free Text Messages (SMS) via Email for a list of phone provider e-mail domains.

And, of course, most "modern" phones can send and receive e-mail...
Don't forget the note at the bottom of that page that says
Note: "The person receiving the message will still pay for it. It will be free for you only."
:evilgrin: for you but may be :sad: for the recipient...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

hougs
NewLounger

Post by hougs »

I have been using MyPhoneExplorer from http://www.fjsoft.at/ (freeware) for some years to synchronize between the mobile phone and Thunderbird/Lightning. The app has its own calendar, telephone book, task and notes functions, but does a heck of a nice integration with Thunderbird and Lightning. Furthermore, it is possible to use the computer to write and send a text (SMS) message to any contact in Thunderbird, as long as the contact's mobile number is listed there, and the mobile phone is connected to the computer (USB, bluetooth or infrared).
When MyPhoneExplorer is started, and if you set it up to do so, it synchronizes the telephone and whatever you set it up to synchronize (calendar, notes, tasks, contacts, files) with Thunderbird/Lightning.

I have used MyPhoneExplorer with two "ancient" SonyEricsson telephones, and at present with a HTC Desire. The program was first developed for SonyEricsson phones, and recently they made it workable on the Anrdoid platform, too. Unfortunately, their website is a bit scanty on basic information, but there is information to find here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyPhoneExplorer

Of course, this is an extra application to deal with, but over the years it has really saved me much time and annoyances.

Regards,
hougs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for the info! I hope it helps Bob.
Best wishes,
Hans