auto log in

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

auto log in

Post by Dave Davison »

Of late, despite clicking the "Remember me" box when I log in to my email account I am still required to enter the details every time I log on. Is there another setting that needs to be tweaked to avoid this please. :scratch: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: auto log in

Post by HansV »

If you want to log in automatically, you should also tick the check box "Remember my password".

PS Please take a look at your Private Messages, I sent you a message almost a week ago that you haven't read yet.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

The reason I don't enter my password to log on automatically is because I am not the only user of the computer with a "LIve.com account. Up till recently, when clicking on the "Live.com" short cut in the Start menu, it opened the log-in page with my address showing but not the password which alone needed to be entered to proceed with the log in. Hope that makes sense. Kind regards Dave.
ps replied to the PM again to clarify the situation.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you use a utility that clears filled in usernames and passwords?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

......short answer is I simply don't know, all I know is this suddenly began last week though I'm not aware of making any changes to settings. Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't know what causes your problem, or how to solve it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......thanks anyway...worth a try... Regards Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Since there are other users, then one of them may have made changes to delete the login name and password.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I doubt that Dave as the only other user is my daughter who never alters settings. Further to your last statement, how would one go about altering the log in name and password? Up till now whenever I have clicked on the "Live.com" icon (& previous to that the Hotmail tab) in the "Start" tab, it has always opened with my email address showing but not the password seeing my daughter also has a live.com account so I never put a tick in the "Remember my password" box!!! Cheers Dave.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Dave Davison wrote:Of late, despite clicking the "Remember me" box when I log in to my email account I am still required to enter the details every time I log on. Is there another setting that needs to be tweaked to avoid this please. :scratch: Dave.
Probably the same thing but looking at mine if you select the email address and on the ribbon account>properties there is another place to remember the password, maybe that might work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I appreciate this is just a trivial matter & don't want this thread to drag on unduly, it's just that when something changes without apparent reason I like to revert back if [possible] to the original state of things. In the past when I clicked the "live.com" short cut in the "Start" menu it opened showing just my email address then I entered the password to access my account. As mentioned I do not tick the "Save Password" box because there is at least one other live.com account on the computer. I suspect this trivial anomaly may have been caused by installing some recent firefox Add-on because I just tried accessing my windows live.com account using Internet Explorer which does retain my address after the previous session. Strange thing though is, that it too fails to remember my password despite the appropriate box being ticked. How odd! Regards Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

cont........ I think I will tolerate the minor inconvenience of having to type in my address & password every time I want to access my email account. However, It seems strange also; that despite having a tick in the appropriate box and that I don't log out when leaving this lounge, I have to log in again when next I visit it! A recent anomaly, something strange going on in the innards I fear. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Have you set your browser to delete cookies when you close it? Login information is stored in cookies, so if you delete those, you will have to login again even if you tick the check box to log you on automatically.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi...checked Tools> Options > Privacy and the relevant boxes have a tick in them... is that enought or is there another setting to check please? :scratch: Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

There's a setting just below the part shown in your screenshot that deals with clearing browser history:
x502.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Bingo...........thanks Hans.... Regards Dave.