Mail Delivery Failed

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Mail Delivery Failed

Post by Gloria E »

I am running Windows Live Mail 2011. The other day I sent some emails to people on my contact list and got back this message> Mail Delivery System (mailer-daemon@perforn.net. Mail delivery failed, returning message to sender.

SMTP error from remote server in greeting:
host hrndva-smtpin01.mail.rr.com[71.74.56.243]:
554 5.7.1 - ERROR: Mail refused - <74.208.4.194>

Adddress that failed: my reciepients user name@cinci.rr.com. This is an email address used years ago and is no longer valid. His email address, as it appears above is not listed on my contact list as an indiviadual or included in the Grouped Mailing List. His name previously was listed on my Undisclosed Recipient list before I obtained a new computer, a new operating system (was Windows XP) and when my email client was Outlook Express. I have searced the registry for the old email address, hoping it woud appear and could be removed, but alas, no joy. :sad:

Can someone help me out with finding and removing the redundant address,so that the error message will not appear again. By the way, he is still on my mailing list but with a completly new email client.

Thanks in advance,

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Mail Delivery Failed

Post by HansV »

Are the message you sent still in your Sent Items folder?
If so, can you find this e-mail address among the recipients of any of these messages?
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Looks like your email server is being blocked at this time.

"554 5.7.1 - ERROR: Mail refused - <74.208.4.194>"
Some one at that IP address "<74.208.4.194>" may be a spammer and the whole lot of you have been banned.

See http://security.rr.com/mail_blocks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Are the message you sent still in your Sent Items folder?
If so, can you find this e-mail address among the recipients of any of these messages?
No, Hans, they are gone. I emptied the sent & deleted box yesterday.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

DaveA wrote:Looks like your email server is being blocked at this time.

"554 5.7.1 - ERROR: Mail refused - <74.208.4.194>"
Some one at that IP address "<74.208.4.194>" may be a spammer and the whole lot of you have been banned.

See http://security.rr.com/mail_blocks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Dave, but the link does not apply to my issue. All mail I sent on that day got through and only one was returned. Besides, all mail I sent on that day was to relations and person friends.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

But if you only sent to relations and friends, how come you sent a message to that old address?

Anyway, I can't find anything about where Windows Live Mail 2011 stores autocomplete entries. For its predecessor Windows Mail it was in the registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Recently Used Addresses

but I have no idea whether it's the same for Windows Live Mail.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

The purpose of my post was to try and explain that I DID NOT SENT EMAIL TO THAT OLD ADDRESS. And the email I did send that used to use that address) was to a very, very dear friend.

Now that I've cleared that up, I'll try the regestry path and see what I can find out. That you for the information.

I hope you have a very happy New Year.

Gloria

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you are absolutely sure that you didn't send an e-mail to that old address, not even by accident, it is possible that the message has been sent from another, infected computer with your name as the sender. If so, there is not much you can do it, except hoping that it'll stop soon.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Not sent by accident either, I had forgotten that he once used that address and only remebered after thinking about it for a long time. OK, I will hope that some day it will stop. No big deal, I just delete the returned mail notice.

Thanks anyway,

Gloria E

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

When you open WLM do you also sign into the same hotmail, msn or live identity? The reason I ask is that I found a thread on deleting duplicate contacts in WLM, but I don't know if this is the case with your set-up. It is possible that the OLD address is in hotmail, msn or live identity. There are quite a few different responses to this problem if you cared to check it out

http://thedailyreviewer.com/windowsnet/ ... l-10540638

This one struck me:

"Close Windows Live Mail

Use your web browser to sign into your mail account at
http://mail.live.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Click on Options, followed by More Options.

Scroll down to "Customize your contacts", and click on "Clean up
duplicate contacts".

Use the wizard to merge or delete duplicates.

Sign out from the webmail interface

Open Windows Live Mail and allow the program to sign into your
identity.

When you select the contacts menu, WLMail should synchronize with
the contacts list on the central server.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Very interesting but it does not apply in my case, you see this was not a duplicate address. As I said before the bad address doesn't appear in my contact list or any place else for that matter. I have no idea where it's coming from. Perhaps I should delete the currect address and re-enter it, that may be the answer.

Gloria E