Address book

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Address book

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi... I seem to have two address books that are different, the address book folder shortcut icon on my desktop has the path... C:\Programe Files\OutlookExpress\wab.exe [a screen shot of a section of the list in that folder - which includes the contact "Gillian Bowan - being shown as the first one in the attachment.] Whilst the second is a screen shot of the list that appears if I choose to use Windows Live Hot Mail & does not include the name Gillian Bowan. My default email is set to Microsoft Office Outlook. :scratch: I'm puzzled why there are two lists and would like the one with the above string to pop up regardless of what server I am using as it the most up to date. :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Address book

Post by stuck »

Presumably because your desktop shortcut is to an Outlook EXPRESS address book but your actual email client is Outlook.

Despite the similarity of the name, Outlook Express and Outlook are different beasts.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid that'll be difficult: each of these mail cliens uses its own address book.

Outlook by default uses the Contacts folder in your Personal Folders file (.pst) as address book.
Windows Live Hotmail is a webmail client, so its address book is stored on the Internet, not on your PC.
Outlook Express uses the folder that you mention.

But you can access your Windows Live Hotmail and Contacts in Outlook using the Outlook Hotmail Connector.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents....the fog is slowly clearing...I was not aware that -as you wrote Ken- the two clients are in fact two different beasts or that as Hans informs me, the address list for Office Outlook is actually stored on line rather than on my HD. I am aware that you advised me in an earlier post Hans that OE is rather old hat by now, prone to corruption & has been superseded by Office Outlook but I kinda got used to OE and don't find the extras in the former a great asset. Seems if I want to retain my present practice of using both clients I have no option but to keep both address books up to date. I clicked on the link you provided Hans, downloaded & installed it ..tracing it to a folder in the Programs folder called “MSE Cache” but am afraid I need some help as to how to access & use it. When I open the said folder and it's contents there does not seem to be an icon to click on to access the prog! [see att] Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

> the address list for Office Outlook is actually stored on line rather than on my HD

No! The address book for Windows Live Hotmail is stored online.

> OE is rather old hat by now, prone to corruption & has been superseded by Office Outlook

No! Outlook Express has been succeeded by Windows Live Mail (which, confusingly, is *not* the same as Windows Live Hotmail).

> there does not seem to be an icon to click on to access the prog!

You don't have to - just open Microsoft Office Outlook. You should now be able to access your Windows Live Hotmail within Outlook.
Best wishes,
Hans