email source

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

email source

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi all... having been continually pestered by Microsoft to update my email account from O.E. to Office Outlook I finally had no alternative (it seemed) to comply as I could not access my emails. However -as far as I am concerned- I don't find it enhances the previous version at all in fact I wish I could turn the clock back. On searching through the list of programes on my computer I was amazed to discover both versions are listed but it seems Office Outlook has become the default as nothing shown in the OE version when I open it. With an email open in the previous version, by clicking on File then Properties I could discover the IP address etc. of the sender whereas with this updated version all I get when clicking the said two tabs is precisely nothing worth knowing. Is there any way to revert back to the previous version of OE by making it the default option? Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: email source

Post by HansV »

The successor to Outlook Express is Windows Live Mail.

Microsoft Outlook is a quite different program that includes much more than just e-mail - it also has a calendar, tasks and notes.

If you don't like Microsoft Outlook, you should not revert to Outlook Express, but download and install Windows Live Mail instead.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks Hans... As it happens I already have an adddress with Windows Live Mail so I guess what you are saying is to make my OE account redundant, revert to and inform all my contacts to use the W.L.M address. That's a shame because I find that adding an attachment [File or picture] to an email in OE was a simple matter of dragging & dropping it into the body of the email and it automatically appeared in the attachment field...Simple as ABC. Besides, all the extra tabs in MO and the collating of emails into separate days is of no benefit to me. If it is not too much trouble, why is it expedient that I forget about reverting back to OE? It was -as I said- all I needed as an email server. Like many of the Microsoft -so called improvements- for me, what they offer is superfluous to my requirements and not worth the change. That is why I am still completely at home with XP ( it does all I want) so I have no inclination to go to the expence of upgrading to Windows 7. Yes, I have come across W7 and note what for many are regarded as improvements but I don't think they justify the cost. Thanks again Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Outlook Express is quite old now, and its database easily becomes corrupt.

But of course, if you're satisfied with it, you can go back to it. You should be able to set it as default e-mail client in either of the following ways:

1. Through Program Access and Defaults:
- Select Start | All Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults.
- Click Custom.
- Click Outlook Express in the "Choose a default e-mail program" section.
- Click OK.

or

2. Through Internet Options.
- Select Start | Control Panel.
- Open the Internet Options control panel.
- Activate the Programs tab.
- Select Outlook Express from the E-mail dropdown.
- Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

May I break in here?

The reference to having an address with WLM is confusing me. I thought WLM was a program like Outlook and OE. If that is the case, can one not just set up one's email address(es) in WLM and access the mail server with one's ISP using WLM just as one does with Outlook and OE?

Or, is WLM a mail client like a pop server at one's ISP? Can one not use pre-existing email addresses when switching to WLM?

I use Thunderbird from Mozilla as my e-mail client; so my question is more one of curiosity than need.

You may now return to regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

Windows Live Mail is a client email program (just as Outlook Express and Outlook are) that is part of the Essentials package:

http://download.live.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just so we remain on our toes, :scratch:, Microsoft incorporated their web based email product, Hotmail, into something called Windows Live Hotmail.

Confused? It's no wonder!
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

BobH wrote:can one not just set up one's email address(es) in WLM and access the mail server with one's ISP using WLM just as one does with Outlook and OE?
Yes, that is correct. As Carol W already indicated, Windows Live Mail is a standalone e-mail client like Thunderbird, Outlook and Outlook Express. It is not a webmail service such as Gmail or Hotmail.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks each...nothing to lose sleep over I know but still can't help but wonder why Mocrosoft -when updating their systems- tend to drop tabs which are useful like when they dumped Photo Editor and introduced MO Picture Manager which I found much easier to use. The same seems to have happened here in that in OE [as I said] it was dead easy to grag a file into the email which automatically attached it. Now with MO Outlook the "Details" tab has been dispensed with though there may be some other way to harvest the IP address of the sender of an email that I not aware of in MO Outlook. Cheers and thanks again Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:....some other way to harvest the IP address of the sender of an email that I not aware of in MO Outlook.
Depending on what version of Outlook you are using, you might find that
View > Options
(when viewing an open email), or
Right-Click > Options
(when viewing the Inbox with the chosen email selected)
will display all the routing information of an email.

But why would you want to 'harvest' the IP address of the sender of an email, and what are you going to do with it?
Leif

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Leif.... as I said...nothing to lose sleep over....just happened to read an article in a computer mag [Computer Shopper] that I had given yesterday about tracing the origin of an email if one wants to check its authenticity. I was familiar with how to do that when using OE but seeing the "Details" tab has been done away with in M.O.Outlook and that it has set itself as the default client I wondered how to sift for the sender's info if I felt I had need to. As a rule of thumb I ususally treat with suspicion any email I get from someone I don't know but if the need arises, it is good to know how to identify the sender. Regards Dave.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:....tracing the origin of an email if one wants to check its authenticity.
And how does having an IP address help verify authenticity? Headers can be forged quite easily, and the originating IP address may be only traceable to a general block of numbers an ISP has allocated, preventing you from pinpointing the actual sender.

Unless you are trying to identify authentic SPAM? :grin:
Leif

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....perhaps "check it's authenticity" were the wrong words....better if I had used "verify the sender". Cheers DD