No OE in Windows 7 - which way to go?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

No OE in Windows 7 - which way to go?

Post by John Gray »

Just looking for opinions, really, for a Windows XP Outlook Express user who has just bought a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop, and suddenly finds that there's no Outlook Express any more. And Office 2007 Home and Student doesn't come with Outlook, the logical path.

I suppose the downloadable mail choice is between Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird, and for webmail probably Googlemail.

Which would you suggest, and why? Thanks!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: No OE in Windows 7 - which way to go?

Post by Claude »

I'd go Thunderbird or, if possible, redirect all your mail to a Gmail account and let it handle all your spam (it does a good job of it BTW)
Cheers, Claude.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I see no problems with using a installed version of Live Mail.

Then of any other machine, you can use the internet version to access your mail.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:Just looking for opinions, really, for a Windows XP Outlook Express user who has just bought a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop, and suddenly finds that there's no Outlook Express any more. And Office 2007 Home and Student doesn't come with Outlook, the logical path.

I suppose the downloadable mail choice is between Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird, and for webmail probably Googlemail.

After trying a few other mail handlers including Live Mail, I have settled on Thunderbird. After a little "getting used to", It seems to be very flexible and customizable, if you wish it to be so. Many add ons and themes, etc.
Someday I might even use Mozilla Firebird more as my browser? I have it installed but not as my default.
Have Gmail as my backup email because I STILL can't get mail from my brother-in-law who lives in Turin, Italy. Good old Verizon will NOT unblock his .it emails? Please don't start me on that subject again! Gmail has no problem with it.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

John Gray wrote:Just looking for opinions, really, for a Windows XP Outlook Express user who has just bought a 64-bit Windows 7 laptop, and suddenly finds that there's no Outlook Express any more. And Office 2007 Home and Student doesn't come with Outlook, the logical path.
I use WLM for a couple of accounts at work. More for backup for e-mail and as a primary newsreader. Primarily use Outlook for email access. At home I use it for a newsreader although I have a couple of email accounts defined that I almost always access through Outlook. If you use other Windows Live products such as Live Writer, Live Photo Gallery, Live Moive Maker, etc. you get some fairly easy integration.

Joe
Joe