Two questions

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Two questions

Post by Dave Davison »

(1) Using Live.com as my email, all of a sudden I find that if I want to reply to the sender of an email or forward it to someone else, when I click the "Reply" or "Forward" tabs a blank email opens instead of the original text remaining on screen to which the answer can be added. Is there some setting that needs tweeking to rectify this anomaly please?
(2) I recently set up a Live.com email account for a friend and added my own address to his "Safe Senders" list but when I send him an email -when clicked on- it persists in showing a warning message saying the sender may be suspect. What else can I do to prevent this message from appearing? :scratch: Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Two questions

Post by HansV »

(1) Are you using Firefox? If so, try using Internet Explorer instead to see if the problem occurs there too.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....Yes, I do use Firefox ......pardon my dullness Hans but I was not aware that setting Firefox as my default browser had any bearing on whatever email provider I used, after all, I have used live.com for quite some time without this deletion of text on incoming emails when replying or forwarding,....& would appreciate any suggestions as to how to rectify the second question.....Many thanks.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I assumed that you referred to viewing e-mail in your browser. If so, the browser you use is certainly relevant.

I don't use Live.com myself so I have no idea about your second question.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Dave Davison wrote:.....Yes, I do use Firefox ......pardon my dullness Hans but I was not aware that setting Firefox as my default browser had any bearing on whatever email provider I used, after all, I have used live.com for quite some time without this deletion of text on incoming emails when replying or forwarding,....& would appreciate any suggestions as to how to rectify the second question.....Many thanks.
Do you use Firefox to manage your e-mail or do you use a client program such as Windows Live Mail?

Does you friend use a browser or a client program?

Joe
Joe

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

SORRY gents I am too vague to give specific answers to your comments / question. All I know is when I boot up and want to access my emails I click on the Start tab then select either the Outlook Express or Live.com tab that appear. As for my friend's computer I have simply put a shortcut for Live.com on his desktop. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When exactly does the problem occur? When you use the Outlook Express link or when you use the ...@live.com link? Or both?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Hans... Only when using Live.com, & this seems to be one of those intermittent problems that prove to be so frustrating, there one minute then not the next! Anticipating it just might happen, in the event that I want to reply or forward an email I simply copy the text to the clipboard from which it can be paste should it disappear. But faffy (as we say here in the UK) but
gets round the minor hurdle..... Thanks again anyway.... dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

This is a problem with Windows Live Hotmail on Firefox 3.6; hopefully it will be solved in a future update.

For the moment, you can use the workaround that you mention (copy/paste the text of the original message), or use another browser such as Internet Explorer for Windows Live Hotmail.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

HansV wrote:This is a problem with Windows Live Hotmail on Firefox 3.6; hopefully it will be solved in a future update.

For the moment, you can use the workaround that you mention (copy/paste the text of the original message), or use another browser such as Internet Explorer for Windows Live Hotmail.
Thanks Hans....thought it was not me going loopy.....will experiment to see what you mean by using IE....still not clear what you mean as I access Live.com by the method I explained in post 9743, is there something I am missing? Dave. :bash:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The link to Live.com in your screenshot uses Firefox, as you can see from its icon.
You can access Live.com in any browser, not just in Firefox, by starting that browser and going to login.live.com
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Dave Davison wrote:(1) Using Live.com as my email, all of a sudden I find that if I want to reply to the sender of an email or forward it to someone else, when I click the "Reply" or "Forward" tabs a blank email opens instead of the original text remaining on screen to which the answer can be added. Is there some setting that needs tweeking to rectify this anomaly please?
(2) I recently set up a Live.com email account for a friend and added my own address to his "Safe Senders" list but when I send him an email -when clicked on- it persists in showing a warning message saying the sender may be suspect. What else can I do to prevent this message from appearing? :scratch: Thanks Dave.
As for your first Q. about include original message in reply, in windows live mail go to tools->options and in the send tab put the tick in the box.

As for 2nd Q. if you click on the setting that appears "I trust this sender and know where it comes from" or similar...only need to do it once then all mails from that sender will be allowed.

Although different in many areas I find it somewhat familiar with Outlook Express settings in some areas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks again....first things first...I followed your instructions and managed to access my live.com account using I.E. but note that there is no "Options" tab only "Internet options". When I access live.com and click Options I get something totally different from the one you pasted. This is nothing to lose sleep over as I can always copy the text before clicking the Reply / Forward tabs as expalined but it would be interesting to crack this nevertheless. :scratch: Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The dialogs in your screenshots have nothing to do with Windows Live Hotmail. They are the options dialog for Forefox and for Internet Explorer, respectively.
The screenshot in Jaystarter's reply is not for Windows Live Hotmail either, it is for Outlook Express.

The options for Windows Live Hotmail are accessed by clicking Options > More options on the right hand side of the Hotmail "menu bar".
x51.png
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Screenshot is "Windows Live Mail", not outlook express although the settings are similar as I said, didn't reaslise he meant "hotmail" but he should find similar setting in the options as your screenshot shows.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, I hadn't realised you used Windows Live Mail for your screenshot. But as you say, it's similar to Outlook Express.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents but I'm none the wiser as the 1st screen shot Jaystarter posted does not relate to live.com and I was aware of how to access "Options" and "More options" you showed Hans but there is (as far as I can see) no tick box for "Include message in reply" like there is in O.E. Seems I will resort to copying & pasting any text I want to retain in a reply till Firefox puts the malfunction right. Thanks for the responses anyway. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you want to keep on using Firefox to access your Live Hotmail account, you'll have to use copy and paste until Mozilla (the makers of Firefox) correct this bug in a future version.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans....wonder if Firefox are aware of the anomaly? Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The problem has been reported many times on the Mozilla forums (Mozilla is the developer of Firefox), so they should be aware of it.
Best wishes,
Hans