Outlook Rules - is it possible...?

kdock
5StarLounger

Outlook Rules - is it possible...?

Post by kdock »

I subscribe to a RSS feed that only occasionally includes information of interest to me. Is it possible to set up a Rule to deliver only messages with the word "blivit" in it to the proper RSS folder, and all others to the Delete folder?

I can see how to move things to another folder based on the presence of a word or phrase, but not how to exclude everything but a message which includes the word or phrase.

Thanks! Kim :bananas:
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook Rules - is it possible...?

Post by HansV »

Hi Kim,

I have moved your question to the Outlook forum. (I can't answer your question though, I never use RSS feeds)
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

What version of Outlook do you have? A quick look at my Outlook 2010 shows a tick box on Rules and Alerts: "Enable rules on all messages downloaded from RSS feeds", and I'm sure you can choose the condition "with selected words in the body". Whether it works well is another question!

PS What's a "blivit"? Something like a "trivet"?!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Hi John,

I also have Outlook 2010 and have looked at that option. If I choose "with selected words," I can isolate the ones I want, which are already in the correct folder, but I can't do anything with the ones I don't want (put them in the deleted items folder). This is an "alerts" kind of feed, alerting clients of activity on their web servers, and mine is one of hundreds. In a three month span there can be a thousand alerts and only one will affect me.

I think the best I can do with rules is divert messages with the correct word to another folder, then delete anything within the "official" RSS feed folder manually. That may be worth it as the point is to single out the one alert that I need to see.

I guess I hoped someone had a magic wand or something to automate the entire process.

Thanks much for the response,
Kim

P.S. "Blivit" was a word my Dad used to fill in for the name of ... well anything that needed a name.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There's no hope of the longed-for word(s) being in the RSS feed message title, is there?
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a condition for without selected words in the body...
What you call a blivit I would call a thingummybob or a wotsit!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Are you using "Stop Processing" on the rule to detect what you wish to keep?

Then if there are one or more words that are common to the RSS feed create a rule to test for them and delete the feed entry.

All you need do then is make sure the rule to detect what you wish to keep is run before the other.

Joe
Joe

NotQuite
3StarLounger

Post by NotQuite »

A Blivit is: http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/blivit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards: NotQuite

Not So Damp in Lotus Land