Company Name - File As

Sgte
2StarLounger

Company Name - File As

Post by Sgte »

For an obscure [to me] reason my Outlook 2003 now does not File As in alphabetical order. This has just happened this morning. I tried a Detect & Repair and a number of errors were reported and Repaired. Contacts without a Full Name are filed as if they were blanks - at the beginning of the contacts folder. However the File As does show as the Company Name!

Also, some contacts of individuals - such as Andrew Laws - are now displaying under A for Andrew, rather than as File As shows (correctly) Laws Andrew. Can anyone explain how to remedy this please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Company Name - File As

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Hi, Hans - thanks for the link. I tried it and it has not solved the problem. Moreover some of the "personal" contacts are now file firstname lastname. Any further thoughts please?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Try creating a new Outlook profile - see Create a New Outlook Profile.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Thanks for that Hans, this worked for PC 2. We synchronise between two PC's and having copied the contacts to PC 1 we found the same problem! so following your advice of creating a new outlook profile on PC 1 - and setting the sort order as last name, first name - and the customized view as File As, for both Pc's results in a lot of Companies appearing (in alphabetical order) before the first File As item of 07875! We can see that if we don't display Company then we don't see a correctly ordered set of Contacts. Moreover some of the personal contacts are displayed in the File As as First Name then Last Name = Adam Walters. Instead of Walters Adam, opening the Contact shows File As Walters Adam. Any guidance will be gratefully received.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sgte wrote:Instead of Walters Adam, opening the Contact shows File As Walters Adam.
Huh? :scratch:
Best wishes,
Hans

Sgte
2StarLounger

Post by Sgte »

Apologies if I have caused confusion - please see the screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I hope that someone else has a suggestion for you, I am out of ideas. Sorry.
Best wishes,
Hans

Wendell
4StarLounger

Post by Wendell »

It begins to sound like your PST file may be corrupted to the point where it refuses to behave. You might try creating a new PST file, and then export your contacts to either Excel or Access where you can clean up any corrupted contacts, and then try importing those contacts into your new PST file. Or if your PC 2 is behaving correctly, you might try exporting the contacts from there and importing them into the new PST file. I routinely keep several older PST files around but don't use them, and I create a new PST file whenever the size of the currently active one gets out of hand. I should add that I experienced similar kinds of behavior in trying to sync a Win7 phone with my Outlook contacts - the sort order didn't turn out to look anything like what I had in Outlook. But I do like the phone.... :smile:
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!