Outlook 2016 *.pst file time stamps

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Outlook 2016 *.pst file time stamps

Post by hlewton »

There are 2 *.pst files located in the documents/outlook files folder. When opening Outlook the choice of pst files to open appears and my profile is the one named Outlook.pst. It is the only one I use, as a general rule, on this computer. The other profile is for my wife’s Outlook files.
As mentioned, I never open her pst file so I am kind of curious as to why it shows the same time stamp on both pst files when I close out of Outlook.

Please see attachment. Any reason why her profile shows the same time stamp as mine?

Thanks
PST File1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook 2016 *.pst file time stamps

Post by HansV »

In Outlook, select File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
Activate the Data Files tab.
Is your wife's .pst file listed?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

No it isn't. Please see attachment. It is a little light but it is on the Data Tab. I looked there to hit the "Remove" button but there was nothing to remove.
Data Tab.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks. I'm afraid I don't know why Outlook still accesses your wife's .pst file. I hope that someone else will have a clue.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 14:40
Thanks. I'm afraid I don't know why Outlook still accesses your wife's .pst file. I hope that someone else will have a clue.
Thanks Hans. It is no big deal but I was just curious. I noticed this happening on a daily basis. Ever since Office 365 crashed and I no longer had that right click context message we discussed in another thread, I have been making daily backups of my Outlook.pst file because I lost some important emails when that crash happened. I am trying to assure I am never without an up to date Outlook.pst file.
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Give us a screen shot of ALL email accounts that are listed with your PST?

Are you both using POP or IMAP type PST files?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 15:07
Give us a screen shot of ALL email accounts that are listed with your PST?

Are you both using POP or IMAP type PST files?
Dave they are both POP. I think the attachment is what you asked to see and it only lists my account.
Email accounts.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

If you look at the C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\Outlook Files folder when Outlook is open you will probably see (at least) two <accountname>.pst files, plus (at least) two similarly-named <accountname>.pst.tmp files (if you are showing Hidden files).

Check the timestamps of all these files!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

John Gray wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 19:00
If you look at the C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\Outlook Files folder when Outlook is open you will probably see (at least) two <accountname>.pst files, plus (at least) two similarly-named <accountname>.pst.tmp files (if you are showing Hidden files).

Check the timestamps of all these files!
I'm going to post 2 more attachments with a shot of that folder when Outlook is open and then one when Outlook is closed. I did not see 2 .pst files similiarly named file but maybe you will see something I am not seeing. What I do see, and it is strange since it is the reason I started this thread in the first place, the pst file that is my wife's did not show the same time as mine when I closed Outlook as it did this morning when I closed Outlook
Outlook Open.jpg
Outlook Closed.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

PST files.png

This is what my folder looks like. Although included in Outlook (2010), I very rarely use the Virgin Media account, yet the corresponding PST file seems to have its timestamp updated as often as does the BlueYonder one...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

John Gray wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 08:19
PST files.png

This is what my folder looks like. Although included in Outlook (2010), I very rarely use the Virgin Media account, yet the corresponding PST file seems to have its timestamp updated as often as does the BlueYonder one...
Thank you John. Yesterday I only showed the 2 pst files I had a concern about. There are more pst files in that folder and I will post a screenshot of them all. 2 of the pst files have a date stamp of almost a week ago and that is when my Office crashed so I really don't know why those 2 were accessed even then because they are not used ever. Of the other 4, 2 have a date stamp of last year and 2 have a date stamp of almost 5 years ago. I guess as long as my Outlook is working that is all that matters. I was just curious why my wife's pst file would show daily updated time stamps when it is not used on this computer.

Thanks.
Today.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Are you doing any file syncing on these computer?
Even with the syncing turned on, weird things happen.

We had syncing turned on and the desktop back grounds were becoming the same image as as time went on.
Yes, I believe that the PST files are included when the syncing is on. All machines need to be checked for syncing.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 14:58
Are you doing any file syncing on these computer?
Even with the syncing turned on, weird things happen.

We had syncing turned on and the desktop back grounds were becoming the same image as as time went on.
Yes, I believe that the PST files are included when the syncing is on. All machines need to be checked for syncing.
No I am not doing any syncing. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

When you open Outlook is your wife's data file open in your navigation pane? If so, try having Outlook close it.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 23:10
When you open Outlook is your wife's data file open in your navigation pane? If so, try having Outlook close it.
No it isn't. In the attachment starting at the left is everything I see in my Navigation pane. Thanks

Navigation Pane.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 13:57
When opening Outlook the choice of pst files to open appears and my profile is the one named Outlook.pst. It is the only one I use, as a general rule, on this computer. The other profile is for my wife’s Outlook files.
My guess would be that if Outlook is asking you which profile (and thus .pst) you wish to use, it knows it is associated with both and may be taking immediate 'ownership' of them when it starts.

When you start Outlook, and before you select which profile to use, do both .pst timestamps get updated?
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 15:25
hlewton wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 13:57
When opening Outlook the choice of pst files to open appears and my profile is the one named Outlook.pst. It is the only one I use, as a general rule, on this computer. The other profile is for my wife’s Outlook files.
My guess would be that if Outlook is asking you which profile (and thus .pst) you wish to use, it knows it is associated with both and may be taking immediate 'ownership' of them when it starts.

When you start Outlook, and before you select which profile to use, do both .pst timestamps get updated?
To answer your question about the time stamp updating before I choose the profile, I am going to have to say it does not. I have a series of attachments to show you. The first one is after I closed Outlook, the second one is when I opened Outlook but had not chosen the profile yet, the third one is after I opened Outlook with my profile. To me it appears that the time stamp did not change until the profile was opened by Outlook. As you can see, I waited a few minutes to make sure the time stamps would show a significant difference.

Thanks
Closing.jpg
before Profile.jpg
Opened Profile.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Did you check to see if the Sync is turned on?
On some installs this has been on as the default?

If she does not use this machine, then why is her PST file on this machine?

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

DaveA wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 16:19
Did you check to see if the Sync is turned on?
On some installs this has been on as the default?

If she does not use this machine, then why is her PST file on this machine?
I am not at all sure how to check for the sync you mention and can't find a good link on the NET to tell me but I am 99.99% sure it is not synced. Never has been. The reason her account is on this machine is because in case of an emergency she could use it if necessary. I keep both account on all my computers just for that reason and I keep the pst files up to date on a daily basis..
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

There is nothing consistent with these pst files. I just closed Outlook and looked at the pst files again and the attachment shows that the two files' date stamp is not the same. Just seems strange nothing is consistent.
Just now.jpg
Regards,
hlewton