Windows Security pop-up asks me to enter my credentials

jmt356
SilverLounger

Windows Security pop-up asks me to enter my credentials

Post by jmt356 »

I am constantly getting prompted by a window that pops up in Outlook that states:

Windows Security
Microsoft Outlook
Connecting to Public_Folder@[server].com
Username
Password
Remember my credentials
OK Cancel

Each time I enter my credentials and click OK, the window pops back up again, with the password displayed as 15 black circles [however, the password I entered has less black circles, so it seems the window is not remembering the password I entered and might perhaps be calling up an older saved password]. I click okay again, and it pops up again. I complete this process usually 3 to 4 times, and then the window subsides. However, an hour later, the window pops up again, and the process continues.

How can I stop this window from popping up? Is it remembering an old 15-character password? If so, how can I clear that password?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Security pop-up asks me to enter my credentials

Post by HansV »

Are you connected to the same folder on another computer or device? Something like what you describe happens to me when I am connected to my ISP's email both in Outlook and in the webmail interface.
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

jmt356 wrote:...with the password displayed as 15 black circles [however, the password I entered has less black circles, so it seems the window is not remembering the password I entered and might perhaps be calling up an older saved password].
I would expect the number of dots to have no relation to the number of characters in your password. If your password had five characters, and five dots were shown, anyone trying to hack into your account would know to only bother with a five character password...
Leif

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Hans: I am connected to MS Exchange on two laptops. One has the pop-up issue and the other does not.

Leif: I am not sure. The number of black circles displayed corresponds to the number of characters in my old password. Maybe it's a coincidence. Does anyone know for sure if the number of black circles corresponds to the number of characters in the password that Outlook has retained?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you quit Outlook on the laptop where you don't have the problem? Do you still get the popup on the other one?

The number of asterisks/dots/circles in a password prompt does NOT indicate the number of characters in your password in almost all situations, unless by coincidence, for the reason that Leif mentioned.
Best wishes,
Hans