Outlook's Calendar - 2010

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Outlook's Calendar - 2010

Post by hlewton »

Searching 2010 Outlook’s Calendar

I was looking for a recurring item in my Outlook calendar. I knew it was there and at first used only part of the words that are included in the calendar item. It was not found. I then saw the item I was searching for listed in Outlook Today and wondered why it did not show up in the search since it was listed there showing within the next 7 days. I then copied the entire item, pasted it into the Search bar of Outlook’s calendar and still it was not found. Any ideas why this search would not have found what I was looking for even after copying and using the exact words that are displayed on the date that I am going to be reminded of it?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Outlook's Calendar - 2010

Post by HansV »

When you perform a search, Outlook should automatically activate the Search tab of the ribbon.
In the Options group, click on Search Tools > Locations to Search. Has your mailbox been ticked? If not, Outlook won't search it.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:When you perform a search, Outlook should automatically activate the Search tab of the ribbon.
In the Options group, click on Search Tools > Locations to Search. Has your mailbox been ticked? If not, Outlook won't search it.
I am a bit confused. I am trying to search the Calendar folder for a particular item and I am attaching a screen shot of my search.

When I open Calendar and click inside the search box the search tab does activate. I see no way to click on Options group, click on Search Tools > Locations to Search but I do see Current Folder highlighted near the top left of the screen shot.

Other than the phone number of all the 0s the search criteria is what I want to search for and was copied directly from Monday’s calendar. Though it is listed in Outlook Today and on the Calendar as well it does not show up when I place the exact text in the search box after activating the Calendar. That is what I originally posted about and still would like to make work. Now I am concerned that I can’t find the options you mentioned to click on. So how do I do that as well as getting the search to work? If they are both inter-connected I really am confused.

Thanks.
search.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Whatever is happening it is doing the same thing in Outlook 2013.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What do you see when you click Search Tools?
S0199.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I see where you mean now and the attachment is what I see. Not sure what is happening but this is what I see. Is there something I need to do to make it work as I believe it should?
search1.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That looks OK. Does it make a difference if you select All Outlook Items in the Scope group on the left?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:That looks OK. Does it make a difference if you select All Outlook Items in the Scope group on the left?
No and this is crazy. I used to be able to search for things like this and a whole list would come up even from dates that had already past. I just tried copying text from the bottom portion of the item when it is opened where you can type information about the date or item. It would not find that either.

I just ran a test and tried searching for a particular doctor I have to see semi-annually. In the same search box I typed "Dr. So and so" without the quotes and the search brought up every appointment I ever had with her starting back in 2005. Her name was in the subject line of the appointment the same as the other search I showed here, the one with the all 0s in the phone number. Like I mentioned earlier it is doing the identical thing on the machine with Outlook 2013 on it. It makes no sense to me why it will not find these appointments.

Ok I just thought of this. The only difference I see between the 2 searches is; in the one Outlook can't find it has recurrences set and the one search for the doctor does not. Does that matter in how I do a search?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm stumped, but here are some suggestions: Fixing Instant Search.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks I'll look at that. I have searched all over the WEB but came up empty. I really do believe it has something to do with the appoint being recurring since all I try without recurrences seems to work.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can find recurring appointments without problem in my Outlook 2013, so there's no problem with searching recurrent appointments as such...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I found this on the WEB but still it does not find what I'm looking for as described above.

Find out recurring appointments with Search Tools

Search recurring appointments in Outlook 2010 and 2013

The first trick is about searching recurring appointments with Outlook’s feature of Search Tools in Outlook 2010 and 2013.

Step 1: In the Calendar view, open a calendar with clicking the calendar name under My Calendars in the Navigation Pane.

Step 2: Put the cursor in the searching box above the calendar to activate the Search Tools.

Step 3: Click the More > Recurring in the Refine group on the Search tab.

Step 4: Above the calendar, click the new added.

Then all recurring appointments will be filtered in selected calendar immediately.

There was supposed to be a photo above but it didn't copy. I can find all recurring appointments like birthdays, etc. if I just tell it Recurring Yes but still the appointment I want to see is not among them. This just keeps getting stranger.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK here is what I just found out. The search I tried to do found the starting date back in 2010 of when I originally put a 90 day recurrence on this item. It only showed that starting date and not other appointments even though there were appointments recurring every 90 days since then.

I then put the recurrence on the new appointment that for this year started back in August. Again I put a 90 day recurrence on it and did a search. It found the new one I started in August of this year but not the appointment set for this coming Thursday. I then checked out another recurring event on my calendar and that being my wife's birthday. Again it only found the date back in 1997 when I first started having Outlook remind me. There definitely is something screwy happening with my search for appointments or events that have recurrences assigned to them.

Hans when your search found recurring appointments did it show all of them even from expired events? I can set that search to find recurring events without any other criteria in the search box and it will find the starting one like I just described but not any subsequent ones. Where my search for that doctor I mentioned will not only find past appointments it also find the future scheduled ones.
Regards,
hlewton

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

FYI, I have the same issues searching in Outlook 2010's Calendar, too.

I did a simple search for my friend "Mona" and got no hits. When the empty screen appears, if I click "Try searching again in All Calendar Items" then I get a dozen or so hits.

If I do an Advanced Find (Ctrl+Shift+F), and search only the Subject field (the default) for Mona's name, it finds the same records without first drawing a blank.

I've noticed this search blindness before, and only with the Calendar. I've searched Mail and Contacts with no such issues.

So whatever issue you're having, I seem to be having it, too.
Best, Kim :scratch:
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If a search returns recurring appointments, it shows the start date and the recurrence pattern. It doesn't show the individual occurrences of the appointment:
S0201.png
This is by design, as far as I know.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Yep that is what I found to be the case. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
hlewton