quick access to templates

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

quick access to templates

Post by stuck »

Can the painfully long series of clicks to open a message based on a template:
Home Tab | New Items | More Items | Chose Form | Look In:User templates in File System
be reduced to a one click button, either on the QAT or the Ribbon?

Thanks,

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: quick access to templates

Post by HansV »

See How to Open Outlook Templates and Files using Toolbar Buttons if you'd like to make a specific template available on the QAT or Ribbon.
Unfortunately, Outlook VBA (a very weird dialect of VBA) does not provide access to the built-in dialogs, nor does it have an easy way of prompting the user to select a file...
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I'm not sure this is what you want, but I regularly need basic pre-filled email messages for sending invoices, statements, etc.

I create the email message that has everything except the recipient and appropriate attachment, save it and close it. I then drag it to my desktop (but that could be any folder), and then every time I need to use it, I simply double-click it to have my pre-prepared message open and ready to go.
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:See How to Open Outlook Templates and Files using Toolbar Buttons if you'd like to make a specific template available on the QAT or Ribbon.
Been there already but we've got several templates and while we could have a button for each it's a bit messy.
HansV wrote:Unfortunately, Outlook VBA (a very weird dialect of VBA) does not provide access to the built-in dialogs, nor does it have an easy way of prompting the user to select a file...
:bummer: In which case I suspect my best bet is a QAT button that displays the 'Chose Form' command and then all we have to do is set the Look In and then browse to the sub-folder that holds our Outlook templates.

I'll think a bit more about Leif's idea, but I don't like the idea of users poking around in the 'master' template folder, odd things happen when users are give too much access :grin:

Thanks,

Ken

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Another option of "quick templates" is to create the entire message as a custom signature.

Open a new email which displays your default signature, right-click on the signature and select the "signature/template", add subject (perhaps cut-and-paste the top line of the "signature file"), recipients, and you're done.

This doesn't work if you have attachments, but otherwise should be reasonably sound solution for most "standard" email messages.

Also gets around the "double-signature" drawback of the custom forms if you have the signature pre-entered in your template.

(Edited to add the "double-signature" item)
PJ in (usually sunny) FL