Spam filter for Outlook 2010

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Spam filter for Outlook 2010

Post by Peter Kinross »

I posted a quest for a viable spam filter for Outlook 2003 using IMAP about 2 years ago (Dec 2012). Unusual for the Lounge, nothing was found. I have since updated to Outlook 2010, but still need a spam filter. I am getting about 80 spams/day. My ISP catches about 50% of them, but that leaves about 40/day that still get through. Well actually, they all get through, but the caught ones have 'Spam' in the header and are immediately sent to the Spam folder. If I used POP3, I am pretty sure that I could solve the problem, but IMAP is such an extremely simple way to share my email account across my main computer and my laptop. The only one I can see that supposedly copes with IMAP is Mailwasher. But with this one you have to first vet your email in your browser using Mailwasher, and then let it download to Outlook. (No idea how it can do that.) This is CRAZY, it would be quicker just to continue vetting my mail in Outlook.
I was wondering if anyone had found a spam filter that actually does work with IMAP in the ensuing 2 years?
Avagr8day, regards, Peter

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Spam filter for Outlook 2010

Post by Rudi »

Hi Peter,

I have never had to employ these methods so I provide the information and options untested;

Here is a spam filter for Outlook 2010.
http://www.spam-reader.com/
Please be vigilant with any installations!

The next two links provide details on modifying settings and rules in Outlook 2010 to increase the spam filters.
Bear in mind that in Outlook 2010, the Junk E-Mail Filter is turned off by default.

See:
-- http://hdc.tamu.edu/Connecting/Email/Sp ... Filter.php
-- http://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/email/ ... 0-adv.html
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Thanks Rudi. I don't have that option 'Ignore', 'Cleanup', 'Junk' under my Outlook 2010 Home tab. Thus I can't get to 'Junk Email Options'.
14Aug13OutlookPic.jpg
I have set rules; that is how I get the caught emails from my ISP into my Spam folder.
I would LOVE to get Outlook's spam filter going. I didn't even know there was one because I cannot see it (a bit silly I guess). Any idea where it may be hiding?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Which suite of Office 2010 do is your screenshot based on?
Express, Home and Business, Standard or Professional (or is that Office 365)
Regards,
Rudi

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Stand alone Outlook 2010. I use Office 2007 for everything else.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

@Rudi: the version of Outlook is the same in all versions of Office 2010 that have it.

@Peter: it looks like you customized the Home tab of the ribbon. In particular, the Delete group has been removed. That's the one containing the Ignore, Clean Up and Junk options.
S313.png
You may want to restore the ribbon to its original settings...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Definitely not anywhere in the 'Customize ribbon' dialog. However, there I found 'Junk', put it in a new group, renamed the group to 'Delete' and moved it to where it is shown in the pics. I can now access the Junk options dialog. Bummer, it was already set to the highest level, but sadly it has been doing nothing.
My notes on Spam-reader
With Outlook 2003
Tried for over 3 months. Never learnt bad or good spamm. Many times every day had to manually allow false positives and remove missed spam.
Bloody terrible.

With Outlook 2007
After about 4 week caused Outlook 2007 to crash.
Repair didn't fix it.
Remove and reinstall of Outlook didn't fix it.
Last edited by Peter Kinross on 13 Aug 2014, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Delete tab can be found on the left hand side by selecting Main tabs in the 'Choose commands from' dropdown, then expanding Home (Mail):
S314.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Ha ha. I now have a bona fide 'Delete'. Thanks Hans.
But still have spam coming in.

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Following Rudi's second link:
Look in the mail headers of your email as follows: With Outlook open, select and open the email you wish to view headers. Click File on the menu.
Click the properties button on the menu.
A new window will open and it will show the Internet headers, scroll down until you find X-Spam-Level this will show none to several asterisks depending on the spam score. Make a note of the number of asterisks (*) in this line.
I have no 'Properties' button.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

In Googling for some answers I can across some perplexing and contradictory scenarios such as updates causing Outlook to ignore the blocked senders list, or clearing out all your safe senders list fixes the spam filters.... its quite confusing if you're looking for a solid answer.

Maybe if you work through this comprehensive instruction list it might help to spot something you have missed?

How to configure Outlook Junk Mail Filter to stop spam email
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Perhaps it's time to get a new e-mail address? Or rather, two new e-mail addresses:
One to send and receive e-mail, create appointments etc. Give out this address only to people you trust.
Another one to order stuff online etc. You can simply ignore the junk you receive at this address and clean out the inbox once in a while. You could use a webmail service such as Gmail for this - that way, the junk will never reach your hard disk (and Gmail does a pretty good job at filtering spam, by the way).
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Peter Kinross wrote:I have no 'Properties' button.
Does this shortcut key work: ALT+F, then I, then V
Note: Make sure you have opened the necessary email first.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Peter Kinross wrote:I have no 'Properties' button.
You have to open the e-mail, then click File in the message window (not in the main Outlook window).
By default, Info should be selected in the navigation pane on the left hand side; if not, click Info.
The Properties button is near the bottom:
S315.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Most up-to-date Junk Email Filters from Microsoft.
Maybe these can be of use?
Regards,
Rudi

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Another ha ha! I found my 'Properties' button. I wasn't aware that I had to be in the viewing opened emails window. Thanks guys.
Rudi, I downloaded the latest definitions, only to be told that I don't have the required package installed. As mentioned above, I am using Office 2007 and Outlook 2010. The link I clicked on was... " Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 Junk Email Filter (KB982726)" ... which won't work if Office 2010 isn't installed. I think it is about time we renamed the time honored 'Catch 22' to 'Catch MS'! So I guess that my junk definitions have never been updated, Grrrrr.
Seriously, why does MS have to make simple things so difficult (read nigh on impossible)? Dealing with MS, it does help having a sense of humor. :laugh:

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

It may have worked better if you simply had Office 2010 instead of a split installation. IMHO
Regards,
Rudi

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Oh Rudi, do I ever wish that I could.
But dear old Microshaft have made so many changes that not one of my Access applications would run. I had to make a couple of changes when I moved to Office 2007, but that was manageable. To move to 2010 would most certainly not be manageable. As I run my one man business using Access, anything like that would be a disaster. Once again one wonders at the total disregard for existing clients that Microshaft demonstrates - 'do it our way or the highway'. Companies don't seem to prosper after showing this sort of customer contempt.
I installed Outlook 2010 to try and solve my spam problems - not very successfully. I will probably try to summon up the courage to move back to 2007.
But Rudi and Hans thanks so much for your feedback. It is bad enough suffering serious problems, it sure helps to know you are not alone.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I do NOT think that Outlook Junk routines have ever supported IMAP email accounts.

Your IMAP provider should have junk (spam) setting it some place.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Peter Kinross
5StarLounger

Post by Peter Kinross »

Interesting Dave. With any normal, considerate company, you would think that there would be a warning given. But MS is anything but normal or considerate.
If that is the case, it would explain a lot.
You said you 'think', I wonder how one could confirm that.